News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Grounded coach bodies  (Read 1068 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Grounded coach bodies
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 17:04:37 »
Information from Jim Greaves and Geoff Lines of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway Society shows that the grounded body at Sevenoaks was definitely LCDR dating from 1879/80 as was the vehicle that became no. 9 on the EKR.  Another mystery solved!

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 17:28:21 »
Sorry to be a pain, but the information in the text of the article concerning coach no. 9 does not tally with the information in the list at the end of the article.  I think this may be the vehicle in the background of the photo on the EKR thread, and this in turn is similar to the grounded body that used to be at Sevenoaks..

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 21:10:52 »
Ah, now LC&DR it seems to be: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86804&search=Sevenoaks&page=2
(the one at Tubs Hill I mean), so apologies for the K&ESR red herring.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 17:37:59 »
On the thread on this site about the East Kent Light Railway there is a photo with an "O1" 0-6-0 with a semi-derelict coach in the background that is similar to the body that used to be at Sevenoaks. It definitely appears to be ex-LCDR and has a Birdcage just like the one that used to be at Sevenoaks.  Any further information, please?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 17:24:58 »
Did anyone ever take a photo of this grounded body in Sevenoaks goods yard, please?  In 1960 it was temporarily replaced as a mess facility by a 1920s "Thanet" coach, number S 3575 S, which stood on an adjacent siding while the grounded body was dismantled and a hut erected in its place.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 17:13:33 »
I had always assumed that this body (in the up side goods yard at the SER station) was ex-LCDR because of the low arc roof but it had a birdcage and none of the preserved LCDR vehicles has this feature.  Now that the Bluebell has acquired two ex-SER bodies with low arc roofs, I am not so sure.  One of the bodies at the Bluebell has a birdcage, but of a different shape.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:08 »
I suppose you mean the former SER station in Sevenoaks (Tubs Hill) rather than Bat and Ball?  It's difficult to generalise.  All LCDR carriages had low arc roofs, and most later SER ones had higher elliptical roofs.  However, some early SER carriages had arc roofs.  If the carriage body was deposited after the two companies formed a working union in 1899, it could have been an ex-LCDR body even on an ex-SER site.
Many of the later ex-SER 4 and 6 wheeled carriages were rebuilt on new underframes as electric stock in the 1920s and early 1930s, while the ex-LCDR carriages weren't, so many of the grounded bodies were of ex-LCDR stock.
There are some records of disposals but they are very incomplete.

Regards,
Tom

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Grounded coach bodies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 17:35:57 »
Until 1960 there was a grounded coach body in Sevenoaks goods yard.  I had always assumed that its arc roof meant that it was ex-LCDR but am now wondering if it was ex-SER.  Does anyone know about this, please?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines