News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Barbers  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Barbers
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 19:27:52 »
Ref plank seat, Woolis of Rochester was a user of this type of seating, so it was fairly common in the Medway area.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 23:10:17 »
It must have been pretty standard across the country.  I was brought up in the Black Country and the local barber also used a plank, with a cushion nailed on.  I knew I was grown up when I didn't need the plank but my brother still did.  :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 19:27:56 »
I used to be taken to the barbers at Halfway Houses right on the crossroads on a corner plot and can also remember the plank of wood.I was sent there for years and can remember us youths were banned from reading "Tit-Bits" magazine for some reason.
 In fact that was the last and only barbers I visited as, since those days, I have worn my hair long and in a pony tail. I take great delight when friends are moaning about the price of a haircut that the last time I went to a barbers it cost me one and sixpence in old money :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 17:11:46 »
Not much technical progress in 20 years, then, as the barber I was sent to as a child in the 1950s used the same system.

Do you remember the barber's name? I remember that there was a Reg Beaney on Luton Road although I never went there.

As a result of delving into family history I have found that one branch of my maternal grandfather's family (Perrin) was in the barbering trade somewhere on Luton Road.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Barbers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 16:38:03 »
Living in Cabbage Island, I was sent to the Henry Street Barbers, half way along on the right, going toward
Luton Arch. The barber used to get the wooden board out, put it across the armrest`s, then said ` come on son `. That was in the 1930`s.
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines