News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old Margate pubs  (Read 392 times)

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
Re: Old Margate pubs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 23:53:11 »
Thanks Nemo, yes, that name comes back to me now. In my time (early 1960s) I fancy it was a Thomson & Wooton house. Cannot say I ever recall noticing it in that heavy green painted guise.
It always amused me when, in the early 1970s, my father-in-law went on holiday to Herne Bay and, on my advice, rather than night out there caught the train to Margate. From his description later they seemed to have spent the evening in the Flag & Whistle and were none too impressed, whereas had they walked a few yards more all the seasonal fleshpots of Marine Parade would have awaited them!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 16:36:54 »
I'm going to go for the Flag and Whistle: http://www.dover-kent.com/Pubs/Flag-and-Whistle-Margate.html

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 15:51:55 »
If you go to the image of The Railway Hotel, Station Approach,  (dates from 1951-56 from the coaches and bus shown), there is another pub shown directly opposite the station entrance. Can anyone remember (or work out) what this was called? It appears to be a tattoo parlour or something these days.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 22:28:12 »
Someone has put a lot of work into that list, the photos are excellent.  Thanks Conan.
DTT.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
Old Margate pubs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 21:39:38 »
There's a good list of old Margate pubs with some nice photos on this link

http://www.micropubcrawl.co.uk/lost_pubs_margate/lost_pub_list_margate.htm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines