News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Highway Robbery 1798. Two Hundred Pounds Reward.  (Read 327 times)

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
Re: Highway Robbery 1798. Two Hundred Pounds Reward.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 23:32:21 »
According to figures that are based on data from Clark, Gregory (2017). "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)". MeasuringWorth. Retrieved November 6, 2017 as reported by Wikipedia, 200 in 1798 equates to 19,321 today.  The figure is based on the RPI which includes food and domestic items (white goods, electronics etc), but excludes commercial and industrial inflation.  Food and most domestic items have declined in real value for years.  I think the National Archives figures use things like the price of wool as a guide.  IIRC, in the mid-Victorian period 50 would pay for a housekeeper for a year, so that 200 is possibly 5 years wages of a skilled domestic worker.  Sticking my neck out a bit, call it 100k.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:20 »
I'm never quite sure how these things are worked out (what's included and what isn't) to give an accurate figure. Property, for instance, must have increased in value by at least a thousand-fold since then. 200 in 1800 would have bought you a very nice house.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 246
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:11 »
200 was a lot of money then. According to the National Archive's currency converter, 200 in 1800 would have been worth 6,434 in 2005.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Highway Robbery 1798. Two Hundred Pounds Reward.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 23:28:11 »
Two Hundred Pounds Reward.
General Post Office, Tuesday, July 3, 1798.
The Post-boy, carring the Mail from Bromley to Sevenoaks last night, was stopped about two miles from Farnborough, between the hours of 10 and 11 o'clock, by a single Highwayman, who presented a horse-pistol and demanded the Mail, which the boy gave him. He offered the robber half-a-guinea, but he declined taking it.
The robber is described to be a young man, middle size, had on a drab-coloured great coat, and rode a horse with a white face. The same man, as supposed, passed through the Turnpike Gate at Pratt's Bottom, towards Riverhead, on horseback, about 7 in the evening, and asked the way to Croydon. He had a pair of small saddlebags, and had the appearance of a London Rider, in the opinion of the Turnpike man.
The Bags taken are those of Sevenoaks, Tunbridge, Lammerhurst, Battle, Rye, and Hastings. Whoever shall apprehend and convict, or cause to be apprehended and convicted the person who committed this robbery, will be entitled to a reward of Two hundred pounds over and above the reward of Forty pounds given by Act of Parliament- for apprehending Highwaymen; or if any person, whether an accomplice in the robbery, or knowing thereof, shall surrender himself, and make discovery where by the person who committed the same maybe apprehended and brought to justice, such discoverer will be entitled to the same reward of Two hundred pounds, and will also receive his Majesty's most gracious pardon.
By command of the Postmaster-General Francis Freeling, Sec.
Padstow May Song Lisa Knapp

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines