News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Death of Rifleman Clayton - Gillingham Detention Barracks 1943  (Read 441 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Re: Death of Rifleman Clayton - Gillingham Detention Barracks 1943
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 22:30:19 »
There's a report here on what happened to the unfortunate chap and the resulting court case.The men charged seem to have got of lightly on a manslaughter charge.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/56281608

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Death of Rifleman Clayton - Gillingham Detention Barracks 1943
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37:15 »
The Times – The commons Thursday 1st July, 1943

The late Rifleman Clayton
Detention camp Inquiry

Mr. Riley (Dewsbury,Lab.) asked the Secretary of state for War what measures he intended to take to prevent a recurrence of the Army treatment which resulted in the recent death of Rifleman Clayton in the Gillingham detention camp: and whether consideration would be given by way of a pension or grant to the dependents of the deceased soldier". 

Major A. Henderson, Financial Secretary, War Office (Kingswinford, Lab.): "As my Right Hon. friend promised in answering several questions on this distressing case on May 18, a military court of inquiry will now be held into the circumstances of this case and will deal fully with all issues raised.  Any question of an award to dependents will be considered by my Right Hon. friend, the Minister of Pensions". 

Mr. Riley: "Does the Right Hon. gentleman really appreciate that the country has been profoundly disturbed by the revelations in connexion with this case, and that nothing short of some drastic measures will satisfy public opinion?"

Major Henderson: "I can answer the first part of the question in the affirmative.  On the second part, I can assure the House the court of inquiry will have the fullest possible terms of reference in regard to this case, and it is hoped that it will commence its sittings in the next few days."  In further reply, Major Henderson said "the court of inquiry would deal only with the camp in question and not with other detention camps".

Captain P. Macdonald (Isle of Wight, U.): "These cases are becoming far too frequent".
Major Henderson: "If my hon. friend is referring to cases of violence his statement is incorrect.  During the last 18 months there have been four cases reported, and convictions in two of them.

Asked by Mr. Silverman if, in view of the fact that this was not the only fatal case in such circumstances, he did not think the time had come when there might be a full inquiry into the conduct of all detention camps, Major Henderson said he was not aware that there were other cases where death had resulted from violence in detention camps.  Replying to Mr. Thorne, Major Henderson said "the statements made by the Judge and jury had been brought to the notice of the military authorities, but nothing further could be done until the court of inquiry had sat and made its report".

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines