News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Death Plaque of Lewis Baden Holyman Found in Dover  (Read 3767 times)

helsbells

Death Plaque of Lewis Baden Holyman Found in Dover
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:42:13 »
Lewis Baden Holyman born 1900 Dover , he was born Lewis Baden Bligh , son of Flora Bligh a widow and house keeper for John Wicke Holyman . Flora Bligh and John Holyman married in 1909 , I believe this is when lewis then took his fathers name , Lewis had one sister Alice a couple of years older than him and 3 half brothers and 1 half sister .

I have been researching the Holyman family tree and was really excited to see Lewis Holymans name on here , I cannot find any children for any of his siblings but John had 2 sisters with quite large familys , so there will be living relatives .

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 21:14:50 »
Lewis was the son of John and Telora Holyman of 31 Limekiln Street Dover. He had a Sister Alice 3 years older than him.according to the 1911 census.
I dont know where Limekiln Street was in relation to where the Death Penny was found but it would have been sent to his widowed Mum, His Father John died in 1917.(assuming she still lived there in 1918 as previous post indicates) as his next of kin. As would any Medals ,if he was entitled .I cant see any on AA but as he was Merchant they may  be recorded elsewhere 

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:29 »

The only two refs I have for Holyman during first world war time (connected to Lewis B.) are:

(Able-Bodied) J.A. HOLYMAN,  3 company, A crew  of Dover Anti-Aircraft Corps RNVR  March 1915
(on a list in Dover Museum)

Mrs HOLYMAN of 31 Limekiln Street, Dover ? her son, T.BLIGH pictured (B.Q.M.S.)
(Dover Express 6 Apr 1917 p.3)

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Paul Narramore

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 20:10:36 »
Holyman, L. B.
Lewis Baden Holyman, 957181, was a Trimmer in the Mercantile Marine Reserve. He served aboard the HMS Caledonia, which was minesweeping. He died at the Haslar hospital on 2nd November 1918, when he was 18, from pneumonia following influenza. .

He is buried at the Haslar Royal Naval Cemetery. 

His stepbrother, William Bligh, also died from pneumonia, following influenza, four months later.

The land (below right) is owned by Dover Town Council and managed by the White Cliffs Countryside Project.

Amazingly, during clearance   -  which includ
ed shifting some 40 tons of topsoil filled with detritus of bricks, concrete, rusty metal, bedsprings, broken glass, and old garden tools! - Tom Page, of Rhino Plant Hire, found Lewis Holyman's death plaque (left).

How did it get there? No one knows, but.one theory is that it could have been kept in a shed on one of the former allotments on the site.

Paul Narramore

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 20:03:09 »
http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=3055833

This is his Commonwealth War Graves Commission entry. Apparently born and bred in Dover, I wonder if any relatives will be found?

Paul Narramore

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 19:54:14 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8686947.stm

This was on the local BBC TV news tonight.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines