News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gas Masks.  (Read 4047 times)

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Re: Gas Masks.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 16:31:03 »
We must have been sent into peoples houses to examine them, to.see if the gas masks were still worthy,       as I can still remember the smell of some of these houses. I understood the green canister`s life was short. You have a very good memory Dave, were you evacuated.
MoK

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 16:21:37 »
Dave Smith ...
Thank you for telling me that  :) Fortunately I was a demob baby , so missed all the nasty goings on. My Dad was probably in Iceland with the RAMC but my Mum and sister and 2 brothers were evacuated to my Grandads in Hampshire . They were living in Walthamstow and using a Morrison shelter there , when part of a Doodlebug fell on the house. There was of course plenty of damage so off to Grandads fortunately. I don't think my brothers had to use gas marks ( I'd have to ask they are still around ) they have ( in the past ) told me a few things that happened but not a lot.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 13:33:36 »
lutonman 1. We were issued with our gas masks some time before war was declared ( I was 9) .A chap brought them round to the house to make sure they fitted correctly & he, or a colleague, came a few weeks later to tape on a smoke filter ( green anodised frame) on the front of the existing filter. I'm pretty sure our boxes were all the same size- altho' the masks not- " child" & "adult" doesn't ring a bell but I would not swear to it; a Longgg time ago. At school, woe betide you if you turned up without your gas mask- you were sent home to get it! Every week we had a gas mask drill, just putting it on & taking it off, so that we were " prepared"!

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 13:12:22 »
Lyn. I think that was a one off, home made by the metalworker father.  The supply air would be through the "standard gas mask" filter, pumping that bulb would only circulate the air inside - it needed to exhaust it! The issue baby gas mask was much smaller than a pram, not much bigger than the baby. However, fortunately they were never needed & in any case inconvenience would be better than being gassed!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 22:08:09 »
What a horrible contraption, poor babies. I hope they weren't too popular .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 17:19:59 »
A.R.P. gas proof pram. Hextable Kent 1938.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CteFS0MpRys
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 13:54:33 »
I believe there was also a gas proof baby pram but I'm not sure if it was generally available.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 13:48:19 »
Now, as I was writing this article, something  crossed  my mind. As for the childrens` gas mask, I cannot
remember fitting any of them, but I must have done.------- Memory is not like it was !
While at at Hendon R.A.F. Museum, years ago, I saw a cardboard package for sale at 3.00. It contained
a replica of the identity card we all carried during the war. The other in the package was a replica of a
children`s cardboard gas mask box. I still have this box, it seems smaller than the adult one.
It is marked inside the lid flap --- Childrens` gas mask.
MoK

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 19:09:12 »
Beware! Some gas masks were fitted with asbestos filters.

Photos

IWM (H 1050) Service respirator. A mounted Lance Corporal of the Household Cavalry wearing a gas mask, Windsor, 1939. His horse is also wearing a gas mask.

IWM (D 4053) Two eyepiece mask. A head and shoulders portrait of an Air Raid Warden wearing his steel helmet and duty gas mask. The steel helmet has a large white 'W' painted on it, indicating that the wearer is an ARP Warden. The warden also wears a white sash, probably to make him more visible in the blackout.

IWM (D 3918) Single eyepiece mask and baby mask. A mother cradles her newborn baby in bed, shortly after giving birth. The mother is wearing her civilian respirator, whist the baby is encased in a baby gas helmet, which buckles around the baby's bottom. The mother is demonstrating how the bellows on her baby's gas mask are pumped to supply the baby with air.

Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 17:59:27 »
I had a red Mickey Mouse 2 eye  mask .Block the filter inlet with hand then could blow raspberries through the nose exhaust flaps.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 17:20:12 »
Wasn't there another one for children?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 16:05:50 »
There were four types of gas masks issued in war 2. The A.R.P. wardens / messengers fitted. 2. 3. 4.

1 ------------ The service respirator    ------ issued to all service personnel, Firemen, A.R.P. rescue.
 2 ------------ The two eyepiece mask  ------ Issued to Wardens / messengers.
 3 ------------ the single eyepiece mask ----  Issued to all civilians.
 4 ------------ The baby mask                ----  baby placed inside with pump operated.

Firewatchers were issued with a different tin hat.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Gas Masks.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 14:33:40 »
there was four types of gas marks issued in war 2. The A.R.P. wardens / messengers fitted. 2. 3. 4.

1 ------------ The service respirator    ------ issued to all service personal, Firemen, A.R.P. rescue.
 2 ------------ The two eyepiece mask  ------ Issued to Wardens / messengers.
 3 ------------ the single eyepiece mask ----  Issued to all civilian.
 4 ------------ The baby mask                ----  baby placed inside with pump operated.

Firewatcher`s were issued with a different tin hat.
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines