News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Renovation and Pedestrianisation of the Folkestone Harbour Railway  (Read 2055 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Re: Renovation and Pedestrianisation of the Folkestone Harbour Railway
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 00:35:17 »
Underneath Hersden village ?  :)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 22:19:17 »
Where is the strategic supply of coal stored for the strategic reserve of steam engines? Hmmmm.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 21:39:41 »
Sorry guys, but whilst I can buy the possibility of a critical reserve, I cannot see the Folkestone Harbour branch being part of it. The question is, what purpose would it serve - to get people, vehicles and or material onto ships or just adjacent to them? Note that neither Folkestone nor Dover Marine has a rail linkspan (I can't think anywhere that does still); in fact, Folkestone and Dover West have no lifespans at all; Dover East does of course and so does Ramsgate - but that's pushing it.

We had a (non-military) crisis in 2015 and much COBRA thought was given to using the likes of military vessels, Marchwood and all the rest of it, but none was judged practicable.

By the way, the strategic reserve locomotives are of course Dean Goods - always go with technology that's proved itself (twice)!

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 19:12:44 »
"a reserve that can be used in times of crisis"

Sentinel S4,

Would the "crisis reserve" status include the branch to Chatham Docks ( Ex Dockyard ) from Gillingham, as the track bed area has not been built on and the bridges still exist.

I have just realised this is not possible as the line has been severed after viewing the video link posted earlier this year in another topic.

Sorry

In a time of national emergency, it wouldn't take much effort to reinstate it and to be honest, in a genuine national emergency, the cost of reinstating it would be no problem.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 18:18:45 »
"a reserve that can be used in times of crisis"

Sentinel S4,

Would the "crisis reserve" status include the branch to Chatham Docks ( Ex Dockyard ) from Gillingham, as the track bed area has not been built on and the bridges still exist.

I have just realised this is not possible as the line has been severed after viewing the video link posted earlier this year in another topic.

Sorry

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 21:56:54 »
As is well-known (to me and the friend of a bloke I met down the pub), the Box Hill quarry also contains a stock of good Welsh steam coal, as well as the bullion from City of Truro's 100 mph run in 1904 (downhill, mass = potential energy, you get the picture...). After all, gold from the Americans to the French, crossing the UK - too good an opportunity to miss!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 21:15:13 »
Very good. Very funny. However Gentle Folk there are certain railways in the UK that are mothballed and several lines that were lifted and have never been, or will ever be, built across. These are part of a, not so much strategic, but a reserve that can be used in times of crisis. Folkestone has a Harbour, there is also a 'closed' rail link to that harbour, this is the only harbour with a potential rail link still in place in Kent. Wipe away the smiles please, if the tunnel shuts for an extended period, and Brexit is getting closer, how are foot passengers to cross the Channel? What if another war in Europe broke forth? The Tunnel is a major target and the old enemy to the East (former initials were USSR) is more than able to take it out on day 1. It makes sense that the line is in a semi-derelict state but I should guess that within 48hrs that line would be in use, it would take more than a month to get Dover Marine back in service.

There was a line in Surrey/Sussex that closed in the late 1960's or early 1970's. It ran through some prime real estate land. It has been lifted and the stations removed. It has gone. It is impossible to buy any part of this line. No planning permission will be granted as it has been ear marked as of 'strategic importance'. Recently I read somewhere that Network Rail are looking into the re-instatement of the line, along with several others.

I firmly believe that Folkestone Harbour Station has seen its last train. However the station still stands, it's not even listed....

As for the strategic reserve of locomotives, every one knows they are kept in the quarry under Box Hill on the old GWR. It is full of 9F 2-10-0's, 8F 2-8-0's, Q1 0-6-0's and Black 5 4-6-0's all good practical locos unlike the high strung Pacific classes of the former LNER........... Don't you guys know anything?

S4......

A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 12:54:52 »
It is an open secret that the locos in the shed at Folkestone have all since been stored in the tunnels under the Great Lines in Chatham. This was done over several nights in February 2007 prior to the shed being demolished for housing re-development.

The locos are primarily Peppercorn A1s and LNER A3s.

The "new" A1 Tornado was a myth, created to refurbish and test the stored A1s after so many years of being mothballed in Kent.

Tornado is currently the 2nd A1 to be returned to service. The first, in 2008, was 60122 Curlew, and this was replaced by 60115 Meg Merrilies in 2013.
60131 Osprey is being prepared to be the 3rd Tornado in early 2019.

The success of 60122 and 60115 has demonstrated the viability of storing the Strategic Reserve steam locos for unforeseen future applications.

The Flying Scotsman is also a front to refurbish and test the LNER A3s in storage, but I do not have details on what locos have been refurbished and tested over the years. The current Flying Scotsman is 4481 St Simon, introduced in 2016. Not all the Strategic Reserve A3s are stored in Kent

Urban Myth ! explained

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_steam_reserve

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 05:32:10 »
A bit early for April?

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
It is an open secret that the locos in the shed at Folkestone have all since been stored in the tunnels under the Great Lines in Chatham. This was done over several nights in February 2007 prior to the shed being demolished for housing re-development.

The locos are primarily Peppercorn A1s and LNER A3s.

The "new" A1 Tornado was a myth, created to refurbish and test the stored A1s after so many years of being mothballed in Kent.

Tornado is currently the 2nd A1 to be returned to service. The first, in 2008, was 60122 Curlew, and this was replaced by 60115 Meg Merrilies in 2013.
60131 Osprey is being prepared to be the 3rd Tornado in early 2019.

The success of 60122 and 60115 has demonstrated the viability of storing the Strategic Reserve steam locos for unforeseen future applications.

The Flying Scotsman is also a front to refurbish and test the LNER A3s in storage, but I do not have details on what locos have been refurbished and tested over the years. The current Flying Scotsman is 4481 St Simon, introduced in 2016. Not all the Strategic Reserve A3s are stored in Kent

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Perhaps all of the post 1967 mothballed steam locomotives are hidden in a shed at Folkstone Harbour?

I heard a rumour that six of them are buried under the sands on Folkestone Beach !   :)

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
Very interesting. To see the rails still in place makes me wonder if it has been placed on the strategic reserve list.. Thanks for posting.

S4.
I think they have done it because it looks nice! To be used again after being partly buried I would have thought that it would all need to be relaid

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Perhaps all of the post 1967 mothballed steam locomotives are hidden in a shed at Folkestone Harbour? 

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Oh come on guys  - surely that is just wishful thinking. The Chatham link is totally severed and why on earth would Folkestone be a strategic reserve? But I'd love it if someone could prove me wrong!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines