News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Press Gang, records who caught?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
    • The Upchurch Collection
Re: Press Gang, records who caught?
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:13 »
For those who followed this thread. I finished my feature on Michael Greenwood.  I managed to locate two sets of descendants, one family in Australia and one in New Zealand.  One family own the original Greenwood written diary and the other own Greenwood's glasses, and a finger bone.

It seems when Greenwood was press ganged in Faversham he wasn't alone. He was taken with a " school chum " This is the only description passed down through the years. Greenwood was returning home from school and was press ganged. The two young men were taken into naval service.  Both serving together was a number of years.  During a battle with the French, the " school chum " had his finger blown off.  He later died from other wounds. Greenwood picked up the finger and saved it as a keep sake.  He later added metal at each end of the finger and used the bone to press tobacco into his pipe. He carried the bone with him until released and he returned to Faversham. According to a family legend he carried it when he married and throughout the rest of his life.  Despite a great deal of searching, I can't find the name of the " school chum "

The full feature will be published in a future edition of Bygone Kent. Photographs of the bone, glasses and the diary haven't been seen before.

Thank you to all those who helped during the research period.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 09:03:26 »

I have lost the train of thought on this, does this help -

John Stimson 'Misfortunes that befell HMS LICHFIELD on the coast of Barbary', 1758

John Stimson 'Misfortunes that befell HMS LICHFIELD on the coast of Barbary', 1758-. HMS Lichfield was wrecked on the Barbary Coast (29th?) November 1758 in bad weather when part of a fleet including HMS Torbay, HMS Prince Edward , HMS Fougueux, HMS Roman Emperor and HMS Nassau. Two hundred and twenty crew were saved and one hundered and thirty one lost but many who survived and got to shore were captured by ‘moors’. The journal contains descriptions of the crews' experience in North Africa , including descriptions of customs and culture and the punishments they endured at the hands of their captors. It also includes lists of those who survived, as well as those who died on land and at sea.

Please see here -
Royal Museums Greenwich

Thank you Longpockets.

Yes I have this, in fact there are four accounts of the HMS Lichfield all strangely the same!  Some are word to word perfect but all seem to be based on a report first published when the crew returned to England. Lt James Sutherland seems to have published first with his account and details all those crew who made it ashore safely.

With nearly nothing at the National Archives, except an official report of the sinking, I am not sure where to go next.

Kind Regards

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 15:04:25 »

I have lost the train of thought on this, does this help -

John Stimson 'Misfortunes that befell HMS LICHFIELD on the coast of Barbary', 1758

John Stimson 'Misfortunes that befell HMS LICHFIELD on the coast of Barbary', 1758-. HMS Lichfield was wrecked on the Barbary Coast (29th?) November 1758 in bad weather when part of a fleet including HMS Torbay, HMS Prince Edward , HMS Fougueux, HMS Roman Emperor and HMS Nassau. Two hundred and twenty crew were saved and one hundered and thirty one lost but many who survived and got to shore were captured by ‘moors’. The journal contains descriptions of the crews' experience in North Africa , including descriptions of customs and culture and the punishments they endured at the hands of their captors. It also includes lists of those who survived, as well as those who died on land and at sea.

Please see here -
Royal Museums Greenwich

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 251
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 13:54:15 »
Hmm, silly me for not thinking of that one. The muster book was probably lost with the ship. Doh!!
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 09:48:30 »

I made an email enquiry with the National Archives, as I couldn't find very much on HMS Lichfield. This is the reply:

Thank you for contacting The National Archives of the United Kingdom.
We do not appear to have any muster lists for HMS Lichfield for that period and a general search of ADM (Admiralty) records does not turn up very much either. We do have a research guide on Ships wrecked or sunk which suggests some other sources that may be useful, most notably Admiralty Correspondence, ADM 1, on the loss of HMS Lichfield.

Well, that's one door closed then!  Off to Faversham Grammar School.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 251
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 22:00:55 »
If all of the men (including those that had been pressed) were released at the end of a campaign, would this not mean that anyone still serving ten years later would have done so voluntarily?

I'm sure that some men eventually took a liking to their enforced life at sea, perhaps Mike's ancestor was one of them.

Its a distinct possibility. When a vessel was laid up in the Ordinary, a skeleton crew was left aboard to look after her until she was recommissioned or broken up. The ship would have been in the care of the Master Attendant at the Royal Dockyard and he would have recorded who was aboard. Once more, only a trip to Kew will reveal the answers.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 18:49:11 »
mikegunill, I  have found this account of the stranding in Morocco by Lt. Sutherland who was on board. His account starts from page 109.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Qy0-NE5lXOUC&vid=OCLC01319586&dq=shipwrecks+of+east+africa&jtp=109&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 16:51:07 »
If all of the men (including those that had been pressed) were released at the end of a campaign, would this not mean that anyone still serving ten years later would have done so voluntarily?

I'm sure that some men eventually took a liking to their enforced life at sea, perhaps Mike's ancestor was one of them.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 251
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 12:27:01 »
Although Winfield does not state where HMS Lichfield paid off in 1749, he does state that the ship was surveyed and underwent minor repairs at Chatham in the summer of 1752, which would indicate that she paid off at Chatham and went into the Ordinary or fleet reserve there. Winfield also states that HMS Lichfield was fitted for sea between November 1754 and March 1755, recommissioning under Captain Charles Stevens in the January.

At the time the ship recommissioned, the French and Indian War was underway in North America; a conflict which was to escalate into the Seven Years War when the British declared war on France in 1756. Press Warrants were not issued until the outbreak of the Seven Years War, by which time HMS Lichfield was already on the other side of the Atlantic having sailed on the 22nd April 1755. Immediately before her departure, Captain Stevens had been replaced in command by Captain Matthew Barton.

HMS Lichfield did see action in this commission. On the 12th of July 1756, in company with HMS Torbay of 90 guns and HMS Norwich of 50 guns, she captured the French ship L'Arc en Ciel of 50 guns. On the 30th of November 1756, she captured the small French privateer Le Volcan and on the 11th of May 1757 in company with HMS Centaur of 22 guns, the French privateers Le Hasard and L'Invincible (both of 16 guns) were taken.

The ship never returned to Kentish waters. She was in Irish waters when she received orders to sail to the French-held island of Goree, off the west coast of Africa, departing on the 19th of October 1758. She didn't make it and was wrecked off the coast of Morocco on the 29th of November 1758.

The only mention I can find of HMS Lichfield in Clowes is of her loss.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 11:15:03 »
Mike, you are more than welcome......

So the press-gang was 1748, Faversham.  The Lichfield sailed from Ireland 1758 and sank off the Barbary Coast that year. In a report of the sinking those making it a shore were listed.  The family story from Queensland is lacking in detail as it was passed down thru the family.  The friend from Faversham, taken at the same time, was killed in action at sea while fighting the French. Notes from Edgar B Harris who wrote about Greenwood just says about the friend " he didn't last very long" I assume in naval service, before his death.

I need to start and research where the Lichfield was in 1748 and then find when they fought the French at sea.  Perhaps off Nova Scotia, I have seen note of a battle there. The dates I have then are 1748 - to - 1758. With the comment " didn't last long" , perhaps nearer 1748.  Mentioned on here, the Lichfield was paid off in June 1749, so perhaps the Faversham Two, didn't join Lichfield till after this date. First task find when she went back into service, then try and locate a muster book for that date. Cos this is getting easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 11:03:50 »
Just a little more on HMS Litchfield, she was launched on the 9 June 1746, but stuck on the ways having travelled 1210ft. It was not until 26th June that she was finally persuaded to enter the water! She was "pulled" into the water by use of blocks & tackle secured to a lighter.
Gleaned from "Building Britain's Wooden Walls by John Barnard, my name-sake.

Thx mike, grateful.

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 22:55:06 »
Just a little more on HMS Litchfield, she was launched on the 9 June 1746, but stuck on the ways having travelled 1210ft. It was not until 26th June that she was finally persuaded to enter the water! She was "pulled" into the water by use of blocks & tackle secured to a lighter.
Gleaned from "Building Britain's Wooden Walls by John Barnard, my name-sake.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 251
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 20:56:50 »
Mike, you are more than welcome......

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 20:51:58 »
Mike ,
           Bilgerat has come up trumps for you for your crew musters,
          Try the Faversham Society they might have or know where they can be found school records for the old Grammar School the lads attended. As a point of interest the last "Guess the place" By Davpot, is the old Faversham Grammar School the boys would have attended :) Rog

Thank you Bilgerat and Grandarog

I may go down the tracing Grammar School lads route!

I know Kew makes sense, but this is very time consuming to undertake.

Very grateful

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 19:50:30 »
Mike ,
           Bilgerat has come up trumps for you for your crew musters,
          Try the Faversham Society they might have or know where they can be found school records for the old Grammar School the lads attended. As a point of interest the last "Guess the place" By Davpot, is the old Faversham Grammar School the boys would have attended :) Rog

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines