News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Post Buses  (Read 750 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Re: Post Buses
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 23:59:22 »
Slightly of topic,I remember in the 60s the Post Office used coaches to deliver Christmas parcels around the Isle of Sheppey. I did temp work at Christmas for the GPO back then and we all wanted the parcel bus jobs,they were reckoned to be really easy compared to struggling up muddy lanes with an overloaded push bike having cycled from the sorting office in Sheerness.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:24:41 »
Fairly natural that the Post Office itself produced `post-cards` for the services and a few dedicated bus enthusiast sought them out in various locations. Strange, however, that they are almost invariably of `mini-buses` and interest in photographing the likes of Ford `Mondeo` estate cars, latterly used, was somewhat less!
An enduring memory of a ride on the Canterbury-Crundale service in the 1970s was proceeding up an impressive private drive to an equally impressive house from which door emerged a fully liveried Footman bearing a silver salver on which were the outgoing letters of the day. With all the solemnity of an even then long past age these were accepted by the driver and exchanged with the second mail delivery.

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:22 »
Having worked in the Post Office, subsequently Royal Mail, I'm well aware of these services. There are a number of Post Cards of these vehicles, generally in the locale that was served. I think some are more collectable than others, as I recall the Wormshill ones were quite collectable

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
Post Buses
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 14:59:54 »
Does anyone have any recollections regarding the Post Bus services that operated in Kent? This means of providing a semblance  of public transport in remote areas by combining Royal Mail deliveries with limited passenger accommodation was particularly associated with Scotland but used throughout the UK, Kent having one of the earliest in the south and ultimately quite a few examples at different times. They ran from mail centres at Canterbury, Sittingbourne, Maidstone, Gravesend and Tunbridge Wells, some relatively short lived although others became well established. That from Canterbury to Crundale (1972-2007) was a lovely ride that quite a few tourists took, the Wormshill service from Sittingbourne (1974-2009) was much missed when it ceased. One once provided the only public service vehicle that Fordwich has ever seen. Their 50 year plus history ceased when the last was withdrawn in in Scotland in 2017.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines