News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ramsgate Micro Museum  (Read 1713 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Re: Ramsgate Micro Museum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:33 »
Twenty odd years ago we took our sons to the Science Museum (one of my favourite places when young - all those buttons to press...) and in there were items that I could say "look granny had one of those", then "I had one of those when I was your age" and then most horribly "I've still got one of those..."

I suspect that it won't have got better, and there will be a much larger range of my possessions on view. One man's junk etc..
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:38 »
I was in a museum and saw a showcase board containing coins labelled Old Money. Made to feel ancient when I looked closer and  saw it was our pre-decimal Pounds shillings and pence. :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 21:13:24 »
You're right - it's weird to see things you had that were considered leading edge at the time now on show as historic curiosities. Still, I suppose in the 1930's a wax phonograph cylinder would have been looked upon in the same way.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
Ramsgate Micro Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 19:03:01 »
Not exactly sure how to classify this one, but has anyone been to The Micro Museum, billed as "The Museum of Vintage Computers, Video Gaming & Microelectronics" at Ramsgate, http://www.themicromuseum.org/ ?
Any good?

And opening up a whole can of worms - when does "history" start? I'd guess many KHF readers would be older than most of the exhibits in that museum. In the Bradford National Science and Media Museum, I saw the exact same model of digital camera that my mother's still using!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines