News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Charles Winser  (Read 271 times)

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
Re: Charles Winser
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 23:20:04 »
Would the cemetery be the All Saints' churchyard or a municipal one?  That birth date would make him 41 in 1914.  I'd have put him in his 30s so my other thought that it could be Boer War (which would make him 26-29) is clearly wrong. 

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Charles Winser
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 22:50:42 »
Before the War he lived at 28, Grove road .Frindsbury. He was born at  Frindsbury in 1873 and worked as a Gardener at the Cemetery.He was unmarried .He is shown as a Stepson of David and Mary Winser. I don't think his birth name was Winser as he is not shown with them on the 1881 census.(Stepson could have meant adopted or taken in by the family)

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
Charles Winser
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 20:50:29 »
In the ringing chamber at All Saints, Frindsbury there hangs a photograph of a man in WWI uniform.  The picture is mounted in a frame and during refurbishment I was able to examine it in more detail.  Apart from the name Charles Winser on the front, there are no identifying marks and no photographer's name.  The picture is B&W showing Charles full length in a plain uniform, plain belt and an indistinguishable cap badge.  He has a "Joe Stalin" type moustache and is carrying a swagger stick.  No rank badges are visible.  The photograph is in front of a backcloth showing a wooded country scene.

Does anyone know anything about him?  I'm assuming he was a bell ringer at Frindsbury.  Was/is there a Winser family in the area?  I've not managed to identify any army records so far, and would like to know what became of him.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines