News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 3896 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 15:42:55 »
I think that it looks like wall across the end of the road, with a shadow between it and the houses, so a separate wall unconnected to the houses.

Assuming a usual storey height of about 8ft then the wall is 10 to 12ft tall. Even so the upper windows easily overlook to the other side of it.

The question then becomes what needs a wall that high on its boundary? Find the answer to that and you find the houses.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 13:54:56 »
CDP - this is held by Medway archives so unlikely to be Sheppey.

This may be the place you're thinking of, Signals99 - similar in shape but not the same.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 13:15:39 »
Could it be the old Sheppy Street in Bluetown, Sheerness ?
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:26 »
Apologies all round, I am told the road was Almond Place not Alma, the pub was the Queen Charlotte. Anyway thanks for the info, plus I now know how to find maps street plans,etc..😔 Consider myself suitably chastised.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:02 »
Looks like a very large gate at the end of the road....

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:47:08 »
Has anyone got a map of Rochester high st circa 1940 ,there was a very narrow road /lane that ran between the high st and corporation street, there was a corn chandeliers on one corner and I beleave a pub on the other,think it was called  ALMA place ,got a feeling this photo may have been the cottages in the yard behind the pub,a school boy pal of mine,Leon Filmer,lived in Alma place .
Sorry if I got it wrong again,but just had to post ,as cottages look so familiar .

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 19:42:24 »
Try refreshing/reloading the page ,mine does that sometimes. Refreshing/reloading with the round arrow on the tool bar brings picture up. :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 13:59:29 »
Sounds like a problem with your browser. Have you tried updating it or using a different one?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 13:01:35 »
Am I missing something here, there is a space for a photograph, but on my old computer, nothing appears.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 22:25:43 »
As far as I know this is held in the Medway Council archives and even they don't seem  to know where it is! This is probably why it doesn't come up in a search. No clue as to the date I'm afraid, but I would say the absence of any TV aerials would make it mid-fifties at the latest.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 22:20:41 »
That's a mansard roof, I haven't seen many of those in photos of old Kent buildings
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 22:19:05 »
The houses remind me very much of the houses that once stood in The Common, Parrs Lane , Gas House Lane area of Rochester. I checked through, (as I am sure you have smiffy) on the Medway Archives site, but with no luck.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 20:43:31 »
Is there any clue as to the source of the picture? In Canterbury the council produced a series of photographs of buildings/streets destined for demolition in the 1920's and 1930's as part of the slum clearence. Could it be that the councils of medway did a similar thing?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 15:34:53 »
Over the past few years I've seen quite a few old photographs being displayed in other places which are labelled as "unidentified" and seem to have remained so. Assuming there are no copyright issues I thought it might be interesting to post a few here to see if anyone can offer any suggestions as to their location.

Some of them I've managed to identify myself, some I have an idea about and others have me completely stumped. This will be a very "medway-centric" thread on my part, but there's nothing to stop anyone posting unidentified photographs from other Kent locations here if they want to.

This first one is one of those that I can't place. This isolated terrace of four houses look like they may be 18th century in date and almost certainly are long gone. The torn poster says "High Street" but that doesn't really help much. They appear to be at the end of a cul-de-sac with a fence or wall across the end with nothing visible beyond.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines