News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 6192 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 21:20:14 »
I don't think so Lyn - the premises opposite La Providence (Theobald Square as it was) look quite old but don't seem to match. Also, these places look like they were back-to-backs, as evidenced by the washing lines which indicate no rear yards or gardens.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 18:51:18 »
Could it possibly have been where La Providence entrance is now. Hope someone has a Kelly's for around then and can provide the answer.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 17:57:02 »
Here is photograph, which I believe is also held by the Medway archives, of another unknown location. Possibly taken in the 1900's, the only clue to its location are the business premises visible toward the left which I think reads (something) N & Co Ltd. A Kelly's of the right period may make it possible to find all the local limited companies ending with an "n" that would enable the search to be narrowed down somewhat. Otherwise this looks like another one which will probably remain in the unknown file.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 22:14:59 »
It could well be the same area, but so far I haven't been able to find an exact enough match, only a couple of "maybe's".

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 19:52:10 »
There is a distinct similarity between these houses and those in your original post smiffy. Three storey, mansard roofs, clapboarding. Could be the same area?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2018, 18:08:50 »
This is another photograph that hasn't been clearly identified, but I'm pretty sure that this is Best Street in Chatham. The view would be looking NW toward the junction with James Street. I'm not sure of the date, but I don't think it can be much later than the 1930's as within a few years after the end of the war most of this area had already been cleared.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2018, 21:10:44 »
Blame filmer01, he made me do it. :)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 19:56:38 »
I believe our smithy has added the castle and cathedral Bryn ;-)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 19:50:14 »
There seems to be something very odd going on here. The sky castle and church/cathedral are totally different in the two pictures  - or have I misunderstood something.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 19:10:43 »
Is that the Tower of London I can see in the distance?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 19:07:29 »
I've found that very picture!  :)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2018, 17:59:11 »
Is there some poor soul, somewhere, looking at a picture of The Road to Chipping Barnet thinking what’s that castle doing there? :)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 16:18:50 »
We can't be sure that it was Wyllie himself who named this picture. It may have been mistakenly given this title at some later date by a third party.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 13:44:18 »
I guess technically the artist was correct in calling it 'The Road to Rochester', which it still is a road to Rochester regardless of where it was painted as long as it got you to Rochester? I suppose the artist was familiar with this as a main thoroughfare to Rochester, possibly forming one of the mail coach routes? I had a similar problem with an early nineteenth-century print titled 'On the Road to Dover', which took me ages to work out it was actually a view from the outer boroughs of London along a mail route to the south coast.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 09:46:37 »
Especially as the older of the two Blackwall Tunnels was opened in 1896.....
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines