News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 9227 times)

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:12 »
In one of the books of old Kent photos my family has, we've seen this photo:

http://imgbox.com/2sCY4z8w

The problem is the caption is incredibly vague. It pretty much says 'Fire in Maidstone, 1960s' and that's mostly it.

We have practically no idea where in Maidstone it is, and have been scratching our heads trying to figure it out. :(

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 18:43:17 »
I think that many families have "secrets" - perhaps someone who was never mentioned or rarely spoken about for some reason. Mine is no exception.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2018, 15:48:21 »
That was a good result after contacting a Naval forum. I have some old ones but fortunately do know who most people are in them. I also have one of my late hubby in his tropical whites, I had never seen him in that before. He bought a posh camera on one of his trips but it was slides ( I never fathomed out how to use it ! ) so although I had seen the slide it was brilliant when I had it made into a big photo after he died . There are lots of  slides with most  places he went to when he was with the first NATO squadron. 1967. We were sent a photo of his Grandfather who joined the navy in 1916, we had never seen any of the family apart from his Mum, they came from a family member in Canada . I was so lucky I started family history as they certainly weren't spoken about for some strange reason  by his parents ( a few 'secrets' ) there, but they had both passed away when I uncovered things.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 14:09:29 »
I've got a few old photos that belonged to Dad and, as you say, don't have a clue who the people in them are. The same goes for dozens of pictures taken while he was in the Navy.

I did, however, once make a post on a Navy forum and was contacted by someone whose father had served on the same ship as dad. He wanted to know if I had any crew photographs - I sent him one that I had and it turned out his father was clearly visible. He was thrilled to bits as he had never seen him in uniform before, so that was quite a nice result.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08:20 »
Such a shame that place names weren't shown on the photos at all in years gone by. Maybe we will never know where these places were. It's the same with old 'family' ones , years later no one has a clue who the person/s may have been.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 21:20:14 »
I don't think so Lyn - the premises opposite La Providence (Theobald Square as it was) look quite old but don't seem to match. Also, these places look like they were back-to-backs, as evidenced by the washing lines which indicate no rear yards or gardens.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 18:51:18 »
Could it possibly have been where La Providence entrance is now. Hope someone has a Kelly's for around then and can provide the answer.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 17:57:02 »
Here is photograph, which I believe is also held by the Medway archives, of another unknown location. Possibly taken in the 1900's, the only clue to its location are the business premises visible toward the left which I think reads (something) N & Co Ltd. A Kelly's of the right period may make it possible to find all the local limited companies ending with an "n" that would enable the search to be narrowed down somewhat. Otherwise this looks like another one which will probably remain in the unknown file.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 22:14:59 »
It could well be the same area, but so far I haven't been able to find an exact enough match, only a couple of "maybe's".

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 19:52:10 »
There is a distinct similarity between these houses and those in your original post smiffy. Three storey, mansard roofs, clapboarding. Could be the same area?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2018, 18:08:50 »
This is another photograph that hasn't been clearly identified, but I'm pretty sure that this is Best Street in Chatham. The view would be looking NW toward the junction with James Street. I'm not sure of the date, but I don't think it can be much later than the 1930's as within a few years after the end of the war most of this area had already been cleared.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2018, 21:10:44 »
Blame filmer01, he made me do it. :)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 19:56:38 »
I believe our smithy has added the castle and cathedral Bryn ;-)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 19:50:14 »
There seems to be something very odd going on here. The sky castle and church/cathedral are totally different in the two pictures  - or have I misunderstood something.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 19:10:43 »
Is that the Tower of London I can see in the distance?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines