News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 2658 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2018, 14:26:11 »
I can understand you not seeing photobucket images as this is a well known problem, but there shouldn't be any issues with any pictures that have been uploaded direct to the forum. All of my photos, such as the Best street one, are direct uploads.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 10:54:02 »
This one, my computer is of 2007 vintage. Photo bucket on here, is just a round circle, no pictures.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 14:55:47 »
lutonman1, is it just this forum you're having trouble seeing pictures in, or is it the same everywhere?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45:08 »
Can`t see the photo (old computer) but Best street in Chatham, my uncle Mr.Phillips & family lived there.
I visited them a couple of times, in the 1930`s, probably 1935 - 1939, then I was evacuated to Newington.
The houses if I remember right, were made of wood, a dark grey colour,  I thought then, a bit like Dutch houses, with that kind of roof. I would have been eight to eleven years old then. My Dad worked in the  Navy House, in Clover Street then. .
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2018, 20:09:22 »
I'd say that the location and date of the photograph has now been firmly established!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 19:57:19 »
OS 25 inch to the mile showing the 2 mills Abbey mill being shown as flour mill in almost centre of image

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2018, 16:53:17 »
Historically, Abbott's Mill is shown on early O. S. maps as standing on the junction of St Radigund's Street and Black Friars Lane, straddling the river opposite the present Miller's Arms PH. The wheel pits, races and iron columns to this mill still survive in a small garden opposite the pub with the original early nineteenth century sluice gates a little further on.

Later named Hooker's, previously Dean's Mill, stood over the way on the junction of The Causeway and North Lane/St Stephen's Road.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 14:49:33 »
I think it was Abbot's Mill that was also called Denne's and Hookers Mill the one also known as Dean's.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:08 »
I agree with a strongly worded letter to the publisher, as the image is of the aftermath of the burning down of Abbott's Mill on the 17th October 1933. Dean's/Denne's or Hooker's Mill was situated just up the road at the junction of The Causeway and North Lane. That did indeed burn down in 1954.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2018, 16:40:24 »
Well that explains a lot!

I think a strongly worded letter to the publishers is in order here....

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2018, 13:51:22 »
80sChild - The reason you've been scratching your head is because this isn't Maidstone at all - it's Canterbury! Possibly the burning down of Hookers Mill in 1954. You'll find a bit about it in the Factories & Mills section.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 12:05:12 »
In one of the books of old Kent photos my family has, we've seen this photo:

http://imgbox.com/2sCY4z8w

The problem is the caption is incredibly vague. It pretty much says 'Fire in Maidstone, 1960s' and that's mostly it.

We have practically no idea where in Maidstone it is, and have been scratching our heads trying to figure it out. :(

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 18:43:17 »
I think that many families have "secrets" - perhaps someone who was never mentioned or rarely spoken about for some reason. Mine is no exception.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2018, 15:48:21 »
That was a good result after contacting a Naval forum. I have some old ones but fortunately do know who most people are in them. I also have one of my late hubby in his tropical whites, I had never seen him in that before. He bought a posh camera on one of his trips but it was slides ( I never fathomed out how to use it ! ) so although I had seen the slide it was brilliant when I had it made into a big photo after he died . There are lots of  slides with most  places he went to when he was with the first NATO squadron. 1967. We were sent a photo of his Grandfather who joined the navy in 1916, we had never seen any of the family apart from his Mum, they came from a family member in Canada . I was so lucky I started family history as they certainly weren't spoken about for some strange reason  by his parents ( a few 'secrets' ) there, but they had both passed away when I uncovered things.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 14:09:29 »
I've got a few old photos that belonged to Dad and, as you say, don't have a clue who the people in them are. The same goes for dozens of pictures taken while he was in the Navy.

I did, however, once make a post on a Navy forum and was contacted by someone whose father had served on the same ship as dad. He wanted to know if I had any crew photographs - I sent him one that I had and it turned out his father was clearly visible. He was thrilled to bits as he had never seen him in uniform before, so that was quite a nice result.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines