News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 3894 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2018, 13:01:20 »
As an addendum, this map is from the 1866 OS, so just a few years before your 2nd G.Father and family moved in.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2018, 12:37:05 »
So what must have been quite an upheaval turned out to be a good move. Interesting that these days many people are tempted to move out of towns into more rural areas, whereas in the past the opposite was true.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2018, 10:18:09 »
Wandering off topic, but you did ask smiffy.
2nd G.Father was William French 1832-1893.
Deddington was / is a very rural village and and the family were "Ag Lab". The 1870'a was a time of great depression in agriculture.
1861 & William is on board HMS Orion, a Chatham ship. He is in the RMLI. So he got to know Chatham I assume.
1871 he is back home, newly married & is Sexton to the local church.
1881 Bonners Alley, "Gen Lab"
1891 They had moved "up the hill" to Old Road Chatham "Plate Layer on Railway" living next door to the vicar of St. Pauls no less.
In the 1870's the Dockyard was expanding and there was an influx of "Gen Labs" from all over as a result. I guess things were bad in Oxfordshire, William knew Chatham, brought the family south seeking employment. They prospered. Of their eight children, seven were born in Chatham.
Back to the photo, the 1871 census lists five families living in Bonners Alley.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2018, 23:31:26 »
mikeb, sorry i don't have a date for the photo but I would guess pre-war as If you look at the building in the background, you can see what seem to be tin baths hanging up outside. As for someone taking a picture of a lamp post, what I'd like to know is why would someone move all the way from a pleasant Oxfordshire village to an alleyway in Chatham town centre!?

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2018, 22:29:24 »
Thanks Smiffy. My 2nd G. GParents moved from the Oxfordshire village of Deddington to Bonners Alley C1872. What a culture shock that must have been! This photo fills a gap in recording where they lived aa it is the only photo I have seen of the alley.
Two queries - do we have a date for the photo, and why would someone take a photo of a gas lamp post? Mind you I'm glad they did!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2018, 21:35:40 »
You are both correct - the building on the right was a butchers with an abottoir and was demolished quite some time ago. The alley is still there but has changed quite a bit since this photograph was taken, and yes, the building just visible on the left is now a KFC. This is the front view as it was in the 1960's:

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2018, 20:19:02 »
Bonners Alley off Chatham High Street? As John Walker says to the rear of KFC?

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2018, 19:08:52 »
Taken from the rear of what is now KFC in the high Street ?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2018, 17:55:13 »
This has been labelled as unidentified and certainly had me stumped for a while. However I have now been able to positively identify this location. I wonder if anyone else would like to have a stab at it first? A couple of clues - It's in Chatham and has its own thread on the forum.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2018, 14:26:11 »
I can understand you not seeing photobucket images as this is a well known problem, but there shouldn't be any issues with any pictures that have been uploaded direct to the forum. All of my photos, such as the Best street one, are direct uploads.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 10:54:02 »
This one, my computer is of 2007 vintage. Photo bucket on here, is just a round circle, no pictures.
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2018, 14:55:47 »
lutonman1, is it just this forum you're having trouble seeing pictures in, or is it the same everywhere?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45:08 »
Can`t see the photo (old computer) but Best street in Chatham, my uncle Mr.Phillips & family lived there.
I visited them a couple of times, in the 1930`s, probably 1935 - 1939, then I was evacuated to Newington.
The houses if I remember right, were made of wood, a dark grey colour,  I thought then, a bit like Dutch houses, with that kind of roof. I would have been eight to eleven years old then. My Dad worked in the  Navy House, in Clover Street then. .
MoK

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2018, 20:09:22 »
I'd say that the location and date of the photograph has now been firmly established!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 19:57:19 »
OS 25 inch to the mile showing the 2 mills Abbey mill being shown as flour mill in almost centre of image

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines