News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unidentified Photographs  (Read 7331 times)

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Unidentified Photographs
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2018, 19:24:55 »
After a bit of searching, it is St Barnabas Mission Church behind the mill.

A photo on a Margate history site https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/Pictures/Newly%20Added%20Pictures%202.html

It looks to me as though the same iron railings are around the front of the church, although entwined in the hedge.

Could be.  Can't say we are definitely anywhere near 100%, but railings certainly help a lot.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2018, 18:37:52 »
After a bit of searching, it is St Barnabas Mission Church behind the mill.

A photo on a Margate history site https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/Pictures/Newly%20Added%20Pictures%202.html

It looks to me as though the same iron railings are around the front of the church, although entwined in the hedge.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2018, 17:38:30 »

This is the problem, in that I've never managed to find a corresponding photo.  The railings definitely imply a town location, and might even still be there.  I'm not close enough to check. 

Why it was identified as Drapers is another mystery, and the author can't remember.  The chap who repaired Drapers (and no longer with us) was an intelligent chap, and offered that it might have been Town Mill, which was powerful, well built and apparently cost nearly 2,000 to build.  In essence that description fits, as does the square base as shown in the map.  Other than that, nothing definite, and I've had to mark it as 'possibly Town Mill', for lack of any other credible suspects.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2018, 17:24:47 »
The next map in 1905/7 on NLS has the square building at the rear of the plot missing. I would therefore assume that this was the windmill.

The boundary to the Mission Church and Hall is very close to the back of the mill, so if this is Town Mill the railings, high fence and recently planted trees would be the church's side boundary, with what is later marked as Allotment Gardens, taken say from about the top of the W of windmill on the map. Obvious question is why would a church need three layers of boundary fencing?

If the texture change that appears in the photo is the boundary behind the mill, then it could be the right place. Hopefully the original postcard may be more distinct.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2018, 16:33:27 »

This one should be a teaser.  It was published in a book of old photos of Margate, and incorrectly identified in the book as Drapers Mill, Margate.  I've scoured every book, record and photo I have of Kent windmills standing around the 1895-1910 postcard era and its none of those.   The author has now sent me the actual postcard, and it has no identification on it, or even who published it.

I suspect it's Town Mill at Margate, which was burned down in 1902.  It was operated lastly by Quckenden who had a bakery until fairly recently.  If it is Town Mill, it's the only known picture of it (which is surprising), but if it's not, it might not even be Kentish!

Any ideas please?

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2018, 20:31:35 »
Definitely the same place and time, the two children are the obvious evidence.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2018, 20:22:22 »
mikeb,

I think the top photo shows some buildings looking along Richard Street, with what is possibly the end of the Naval Institute visible. The bottom one maybe the side of a Sunday school in James Street as shown on older maps, but which is marked on later maps as a canteen.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2018, 18:49:08 »
Wonderfully evocative photos smiffy, thanks. From your description I take it that the buildings in the background could be High Street/ They seem lower than Russell Sq which was on the scarp down from New Road? I used to deliver papers around this area in the late 1950's and these houses were gone by then, I think, although Rhode St / Best Street were still there.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2018, 17:54:19 »
These are a pair of photographs that I found individually before realising they were of the same location and probably taken at the same time - at a guess around 1930. The only information I have is that this was somewhere in Medway, and using the trees as a clue I think I've finally pinned this down to a view of Russell Square. Russell Square was located between Best Street and Richard Street in Chatham and entered via Rhode Street. Once a densely populated residential area, just about every building here is now long gone and what you would see from the same viewpoint today is - yes you've guessed it - a car park!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2018, 17:00:42 »
This is by a Rochester based photographer and dates to the early part of the first war. There is no indication as to where this is, but I presume that it's outside of some military stables. I know there used to be some large stables at the bottom of Westcourt Street in Brompton so possibly this is the location?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2018, 13:01:20 »
As an addendum, this map is from the 1866 OS, so just a few years before your 2nd G.Father and family moved in.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2018, 12:37:05 »
So what must have been quite an upheaval turned out to be a good move. Interesting that these days many people are tempted to move out of towns into more rural areas, whereas in the past the opposite was true.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2018, 10:18:09 »
Wandering off topic, but you did ask smiffy.
2nd G.Father was William French 1832-1893.
Deddington was / is a very rural village and and the family were "Ag Lab". The 1870'a was a time of great depression in agriculture.
1861 & William is on board HMS Orion, a Chatham ship. He is in the RMLI. So he got to know Chatham I assume.
1871 he is back home, newly married & is Sexton to the local church.
1881 Bonners Alley, "Gen Lab"
1891 They had moved "up the hill" to Old Road Chatham "Plate Layer on Railway" living next door to the vicar of St. Pauls no less.
In the 1870's the Dockyard was expanding and there was an influx of "Gen Labs" from all over as a result. I guess things were bad in Oxfordshire, William knew Chatham, brought the family south seeking employment. They prospered. Of their eight children, seven were born in Chatham.
Back to the photo, the 1871 census lists five families living in Bonners Alley.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2018, 23:31:26 »
mikeb, sorry i don't have a date for the photo but I would guess pre-war as If you look at the building in the background, you can see what seem to be tin baths hanging up outside. As for someone taking a picture of a lamp post, what I'd like to know is why would someone move all the way from a pleasant Oxfordshire village to an alleyway in Chatham town centre!?

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2018, 22:29:24 »
Thanks Smiffy. My 2nd G. GParents moved from the Oxfordshire village of Deddington to Bonners Alley C1872. What a culture shock that must have been! This photo fills a gap in recording where they lived aa it is the only photo I have seen of the alley.
Two queries - do we have a date for the photo, and why would someone take a photo of a gas lamp post? Mind you I'm glad they did!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines