News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: North Barracks, Deal  (Read 530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
North Barracks, Deal
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 20:22:16 »
The North Barracks opened in 1797, it was originally an Army hospital.  Some of the buildings still survive after closing in 1988 and the land being used as a private residential estate.  Infirmary barracks were added in 1900 on a drill field.  In 1989 the IRA planted a bomb within the barracks on a timer, this exploded killing 11 musicians from the Royal Marines Band.  A memorial garden can be found on part of the old barracks, using the end of the old school house.

The first two pictures show the Provost Sergeants house and the guard house, with Staff Officer's house in the background. 
The following image is the Staff Officers house, this was the home of Lieutenant Colonel Sir Vivian Dunn, KVCO OBE FRSA, between 1953 and 1968.  He  was the composer and principal director of music for the Royal Marines Band Service.
The next is the Quarter Masters, Nursing sisters and Field Officers houses.
Image 4050 is the stables and coach house.
The following are of the attached cemetery.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines