News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Redsands Fort  (Read 232 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Redsands Fort
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:13:59 »
The nick name Tom Pepper was one I have not come across for some time. My mother used it to describe someone who was, to put it politely, a stranger to the truth. Was this just a local saying? I googled it, seems fairly wide spread usage and meaning.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 23:14:15 »
A bit more information about Radio Invicta based on Redsands fort including the sad drowning of Tom Pepper

http://www.offshoreradio.co.uk/odds64.htm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 22:58:33 »
Must not forget the latter day life of some of the forts as `pirate` radio stations. As I recall Red Sands  was the `Good Music Station` run by an entrepeneur from Folkestone who drowned in a boating accident en route there. Also, in order to prove the forts were within territorial waters, a naval officer had to pick a suitable tide to land on an exposed sandbank and spend long enough there to plant a flag and claim the land for the Queen.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 14:35:48 »
Conan, thanks for that, I have seen the forts from sea level, my only interest is the fact that my father, a clerical officer grade 2, was stationed at RNAD Lodge Hill and was responsible for de-ammunitioning some of the forts after the war. He told me most of the explosive stores came back to Upnor, most of the fixed ammunition was Army but was "broken down " under contract at Lodge Hill laboratories.
Not very interesting, I know, but it kind of rounds off the story.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:02 »
Signals99  They were built by a partnership of Maunsell and Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners and constructed at Red Lion Wharf Gravesend (see paragraph 8 on this link)

http://www.engineering-timelines.com/who/Maunsell_G/maunsellGuy5.asp

Gibbs were very active in my part of the country (Wiltshire) during the war, being heavily involved, and profiteering from, the construction of the CAD at Corsham and the massive underground Spring Quarry BAC aero engine factory.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 05:19:57 »
Yes, I watched the programme, very good. Understand they were built at Gravesend. Who built them?

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
Redsands Fort
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 19:46:09 »
Heads up for anyone on line.  At 20:00 tonight on the "Yesterday" channel there is a programme "Abandoned Engineering" which contains a segment about the Redsands Fort.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines