News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Kent police station buildings  (Read 678 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
Re: Kent police station buildings
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 21:00:59 »
Some more, recent, photos of Kent police stations from Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/browser/#!/q=Kent+police+stations

Medway, Folkestone, Rochester (Including demolition of), Tunbridge Wells, Margate, Hythe, Ashford, Ramsgate, Tonbridge, Leysdown, Paddock Wood, Faversham, Whitstable, Borough Green, Dover, West Malling, Lydden, Sevenoaks, Edenbridge.    Ignore Newark, its just how the algorithm works.

Top photo: West Malling Old Police Office.

Lower photo: Old Faversham police station. Built 1813. It consisted of stone built walls on the ground floor with two cells and an exercise yard to the rear. The upper floors were used for accommodation for the gaoler and his family. The whole building now houses Faversham Age Concern.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Re: Kent police station buildings
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:28 »
A simple photo of the old ones you come across in this thread would be nice.  We can put any information we find in indiividual threads.  I know the Faversham one is still in use, but I remember the Gillingham one but don't know if it was demolished or not.  The Rainham one was and there are flats there now.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
Kent police station buildings
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 23:28:41 »
Just found this little lot of photographs of Kent police stations.I don't know how many are still operational. There's one photo of Dover station that I can't tell whether it's been bombed or is just being demolished, although by the 1940 date I would assume the former.

http://british-police-history.uk/album.cgi?force=kent_county&unit=buildings
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines