News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RTA early 1960s  (Read 2277 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: RTA early 1960s
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 17:24:49 »
Did any of the enthusiast groups (e.g. The Omnibus Society, or The PSV Circle) ever produce a fleet list for Contract Bus Services?

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 17:40:00 »
I have looked at Peter Gould's website on Crosville vehicles and the rear vehicle FM 9050 is a 1936 Leyland Titan TD4.  But the body looks more like the Leyland body usually fitted to the earlier TD1 model although the rear is different.  Another website which comes up (when FM 9050 is used as the search) shows a TD1 with a body with an open staircase.  I suspect that, while this vehicle was still with Crosville, bodies were swapped between the TD4 and the TD1, and that Crosville themselves rebuilt the rear of the body that had been on the TD1 to give it an enclosed platform.  It is known that Crosville did that sort of thing; see the thread I started about the (ex-Crosville) Leyland Titan TD7 that ran for a while with Camden Coaches of Sevenoaks.

I am not sure about the other double decker but it seems to have bodywork by Short Bros of Rochester and is similar to the Southdown TD1 with Short body in the Amberley Museum.

Does anyone have any idea about the single decker shown passing the scene (just the rear on view)?

Changing the subject slightly, I recall in about 1960 seeing an Albion Venturer with Contract Bus Services in, of all places, Rye.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 19:13:47 »
Nice find!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 17:59:53 »
Presumably 1958 or later because the bus appears delicenced with Crosville at Colbro (wherever that is!): https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77065&search=Fm9050

Oh drat, just read the thread title!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 21:51:10 »
It appears that the H.J. Taylor, fruit and vegetable company  went to the wall in 1972.

See the first entry on this link

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/45656/page/4941/data.pdf
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 12:03:27 »
Quite agree, Smiler, most of the new generation of light commercials of that era had minimum consideration for driver survival.
So far as I can work it out the one double-deck emerged from the left, possibly out of control, and impacted the n/s of the van, which then span round (twice?) finishing up reversed onto the second double-deck. As I said originally, it must have been spectacular to observe, especially for the driver of the second bus with a grandstand view of it coming towards him!

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 11:44:04 »
The body on the van was probably not structural, almost certainly built onto a chassis. Therefore more easily damaged and that damage transmitted across the structure.

It looks like a heavy impact on the offside, the door leaning against the van is actually the nearside one, it probably fell off when the roof deformed as the doors were usually sliding ones. Very handy for deliveries, but quite terrifying being driven with them open and no seatbelts.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline SKIP

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:19:05 »
Slightly odd how there is so much damage to the roof on the n/s of the van but no damage to the front on that side.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 13:08:51 »
It looked like a serious accident - it's hard to believe the van driver could have escaped without injury. No seat belts or airbags in those days.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:25:57 »
I remember the mechanic who used to have use of that van, perhaps in a hurry for a breakdown somewhere.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 23:07:12 »
Contract Bus Services Ltd was a subsidiary of Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd, both vehicles look as if they belong to them.
The damage to the Bedford van seems unusually catastrophic, even if the leading bus had skidded and caused a head on smack the van would surely have been coming uphill at a reasonable rate. Somewhere methinks there has to be a press report.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 20:10:23 »
I have blown the picture up at Luton arches is at the bottom so I`m positive this is Chatham high.
Hope x

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 19:01:35 »
Neither bus is carrying any obvious insignia on the side. Were both buses doing the same job of ferrying workers, rather than a scheduled service?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 17:38:22 »
Could be that the van coming up the hill clipped the front of the bus emerging from Seymour road and performed a near 360 into the other bus. Either that or the bus in the background lost control going down the hill and caused the mayhem. It looks like it may have gone into a skid and hit the lamppost behind it, which is leaning over. As for date, it looks about 1960ish to me.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 16:05:02 »
Rather than rely on memory I really should check GSV first!

I think it is certainly Seymour Road, even Luton Arches are visible, and in the right perspective.

Now for a date.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines