News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Glencoe Road Elementary School. Chatham.  (Read 837 times)

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Re: Glencoe Road Elementary School. Chatham.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 15:47:29 »
No smiler, I was in the Beatie section, when we played team games. Mine was a blue coloured sash, worn over one shoulder. There was no Fort Luton school there, when I was in Glencoe, just fields.
Perhaps Fort Luton they took over that part of the system, long after the war. I left Glencoe in June 1940,
Went to Wales, returned in July 1941, too old to go back, at age thirteen & three quarters.
MoK

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 11:13:10 »
I was there from 49/54 and never heard of names for the colours, however Fort Luton had Beattie, Drake, Nelson and Raleigh. Could you be mixing your schools up by any chance lutonman 1?

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:01 »
In my day the ` house classes ` were divided into four divisions.

Yellow ----------for   ---------------   ?                                                                                                                                            Blue    --------- for Beattie  ( mine )
Green ---------for -----------------   ?
RED -----------for -----------------   ?

Named after WW1 leaders.
Did this practice carry on after WW2.
Beattie --- Gordon --- Haig --- Kitchener.
MoK

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 11:53:43 »
 I like the `imprisoned ` bit. I liked my school days.  Chatham, Newington, Ynysmedeau, Pontardawe.
 that was where my schools were, It was like getting geography lessons + free travel.
MoK

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:17:30 »
Our headmaster was Mr. Boorman, Mr Semple was our science teacher, later Mayor of Chatham.
Mr.Nutland & Mr.Semple,came to Wales with us. Other teachers were the two Mr.Baileys, one
was a woodwork teacher. I enjoyed my school days, We left at 14 then.

You were so lucky, I had to wait until I was 15 before I could become a workmen and start earning money, Semple came back and was working for Highfields secondary in Chatham while I was imprisoned there.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 19:10:11 »
Our headmaster was Mr. Boorman, Mr Semple was our science teacher, later Mayor of Chatham.
Mr.Nutland & Mr.Semple, came to Wales with us. Other teachers were the two Mr.Baileys, one
was a woodwork teacher. I enjoyed my school days, We left at 14 then.
MoK

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:13:27 »
 I was there, started infants in September 49, left juniors in `54. Mr Richardson headmaster.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 09:23:52 »
I went there in the mid 50's. It was not too bad for a school compared to the next one, Highfields, my last one.Oh I could not wait till I was 15 and become a working man, best years of my life? No! My best years started the day I left and became a real workman.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 16:46:05 »
I did, but a lot later,1955 onwards. Started at the annexe at White Road with Miss Basset.

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
Glencoe Road Elementary School. Chatham.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:19:27 »
Did anyone go to Glencoe Road school in Chatham, I was there from 1932 to 1937 (infants) then to 1940 (Junior). with a brief stay at the Church Lane Newington school in 1939, from
then, on to Pontadawe High school in South Wales.
MoK

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines