News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hawkhurst Fire Station  (Read 347 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1509
  • Appreciation 236
Hawkhurst Fire Station
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 18:05:27 »
Rye Road, Hawkhurst, Kent.

Built as a fire station in 1921/22 and in use until 1945, now used as a public library. The building, along with a Dennis fire engine, was presented to Hawkhurst by Charles E Gunther in memory of his two eldest sons.

The dedication stone over the entrance reads:-
      This building was given to Hawkhurst by C.E. Gunther in memory of his sons Charles & Norman who gave their lives in the war 1914-1918

           
IWM (HU 115560)
IWM Non Commercial License

Charles Emil Gunther. Lieutenant 8th Reserve Cavalry attached to 2nd Life Guards then to 2nd Battalion Guards Machine Gun Regiment.
Died 24th September 1918 age 28. Buried Chapelle British Cemetery Holnon, France.

           
IWM (HU 115562)
IWM Non Commercial License

Norman Otto Frederick Gunther MC. Second Lieutenant 6th Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).
Died 12th July 1917 age 19. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

The foundation stone, front lower right, reads:-
     This stone was laid by Edith Julia Alexander of Wilsley. In memory of her two brothers. December 3rd 1921.
Edith J Alexander nee Gunther.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines