News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cherry Scrumping, Gillingham 1806  (Read 496 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Cherry Scrumping, Gillingham 1806
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 17:44:24 »
The only piece I found on Dutch punishment was from the 16 century, the Dutch navy keelhauling meant dropping a man into the sea then hauling him under the keel of the ship with a rope. Barnacles would cut his skin to shreds and there was the possibility of drowning.
Hope x

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 232
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 18:58:44 »
I've been trying to determine the meaning of the "Dutch fashion", but can't find any reference to this particular piece of slang. Whatever it is, it's obviously not meant to be pleasant!

The only similar reference I can find, so far, is this from a newspaper of 1861.
     (......) A railway policeman stated that the defendant with other men was walking on the line of the railway near Jacks Pill; witness ordered them away; they refused to go, and defendant struck him; he afterwards took out a knife, and threatenen to treat him "Dutch fashion;" witness then gave defendant into custody. (,,,,,,)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 16:12:28 »
"Dutch fashion"

The only thing I could find was reference to it in a recipe, to boil meat until nearly all the water had gone.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 15:47:44 »
I've been trying to determine the meaning of the "Dutch fashion", but can't find any reference to this particular piece of slang. Whatever it is, it's obviously not meant to be pleasant!

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:00 »
Oh my word Herb Collector, is that real. Sounds like a script for a "carry on film "  sorry for the miscreant, but it had me in stitches .

To me Cherry Scrumping sounds like a character from a Roald Dahl story!  :)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 21:19:06 »
Many true and educated opinions given on the poor man`s fate by much respected forum pundits, for which we must be grateful, thank you gents.
But it still leaves me highly amused, maybe my sense of humour (mostly service ex RE ) may be strange, but I really do find it funny.😅😅😅😅

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 17:20:48 »
The unfortunate would-be thief would only have been hanged if the watchmen or their employer reported him to the magistrates. If so, he would have faced a trial which would be recorded somewhere. I think, in the absence of any more information, it's likely that as he had suffered severe burns and from the look of it, was badly injured, it's unlikely. It's more likely he died from his injuries. A visit to or from a Doctor was probably unaffordable for him, so if he was badly burned, he most likely succumbed to an infection or at least would have been in severe pain for a long time after the incident.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:59:19 »
Highly unlikely it would have turned out as it did but for the fact he was a sawyer whose clothes would have been substantially impregnated with fine wood dust that acted as an impellent.
But we still only have half the story - was he later hung for the attempted theft of the cherries? :)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:04:36 »
Instant Karma  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:48 »
Oh my word Herb Collector, is that real. Sounds like a script for a "carry on film "  sorry for the miscreant, but it had me in stitches .

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 00:11:29 »
That Sir is probably the finest news report you have ever unearthed. Thank you for cheering my old heart just before bedtime  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 232
Cherry Scrumping, Gillingham 1806
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 18:24:48 »
A sawyer, of the name of Wallis, was on Sunday detected in endeavouring to rob the cherry-orchard of Mr. Bishop, of Gillingham, Kent, and was secured by the persons set to watch the orchard. On giving his word, however, that he would walk quietly with them, wherever they wished him to go, he was left to walk without any restraint. He had not proceeed far, when he turned short upon his attendants, and pulling out a knife, threatened to serve them after the Dutch fashion, if they molested him. He then made use of such irritating language, that one of the men, threatened to discharge his gun at him; this he disregarded, and running towards a hedge, was jumping over it, when the other fired, and wounded him in the posteriors; the wadding of the gun at the same time attaching itself to his breeches, was fanned into a flame by the quickness of his motion, in his endeavour to escape. Being very hotly pursued, he darted across the fields like a blazing meteor, every now and then striking his hands behind him to allay the pain he was enduring, and to extinguish the cause of it; this, however, he was not able to effect, till one half of his breeches, a large portion of his shirt, and a part of his jacket were consumed, and his posteriors and one thigh burnt, in a very dreadful manner :- in this miserable condition, he contrived to reach his own lodging, where he now lies in a very dangerous situation.
     From The Cambrian, 9th August 1806.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines