News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gun siege in Walderslade 1984.  (Read 355 times)

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
Re: Gun siege in Walderslade 1984.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 17:31:34 »
Just an update on what's been going on:

On Monday morning I managed to get down to the Medway Archives centre in Strood and asked to see the local newspaper archives for September 1984.

Surprisingly it didn't actually take too long to find something out about it!  :)

To my delight I actually found a quite detailed account of the incident in the Chatham Standard that reported on it, and it was printed over a four page spread!
I managed to get copies from them and I might try and post them on here but it might be a bit difficult because I don't think these pages might actually fit my scanner because they're too big.

If I can't, and anyone else is interested in this story then it can be found at the Medway Archives on the following information:

The Chatham Standard, Tuesday 2nd October 1984, Pages 1-4.

I am VERY happy that I've finally been able to track more information about this story down and get copies (which I've shown to my father) because like I said I have spent literally YEARS hearing about this and this is the biggest breakthrough I've ever had!  :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Gun siege in Walderslade 1984.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:44:31 »
An amazing and horrifying story 80s child. It's the first I'd heard of this as I was out of the country back then as I am now.
Thnx. for telling it and good luck to the lady involved.
AlanH.

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
Gun siege in Walderslade 1984.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:30:40 »
When I first came to this site back in 2015 I said at the time that it was because I needed help researching an event that occured in my childhood.
And although I always planned to go into more detail I'm afraid that I just haven't got round to doing it-until now!

The story I've always wanted to research involves an incident that occurred in Walderslade during the first half of the 80's.

My family lived in Walderslade during the early 80's and it was the village I grew up in during my pre-school years. But there's a story from that time that has always somewhat fascinated me ever since and has always intrigued me for the last 30 years.

My parents use to tell me that when I was very little there was a serious police incident that occurred one day. The story goes that a man with a gun broke into a house and held a woman and her daughter hostage.
The police arrived and cornered off the street, and eventually became so worse that someone actually got shot.

My father actually remembers seeing this event occurring. He always told me of seeing the police and the police cars blocking the street and police telling the public to keep back.

Unfortunately, despite his best intentions at recalling the event over the years he has been unable to give very precise details of what happened.

He has given me some information-the name of the road where it happened, the young girl was called Jodie etc and from what I have it would have occurred some point between June 1982 (when my family moved to Walderslade) and the winter of 86 (when we moved away and I would have been old enough to actually remember it) and if I'm honest I personally have absolutely no memory of this at all!

These few facts has meant that researching this is extremely difficult for all of these years. I have spent HOURS searching online for this story and even tried Medway archives (which is quite difficult seeing how I didn't have a precise date to start searching).

HOWEVER, last Sunday (22nd July) I made a huge breakthrough!  :)

To both the astonishment of my father and I The Sunday Mirror actually ran a 2-page spread about the story, centered around an interview with Jodie herself.
I am REALLY happy about this because it has finally given me some new information with which I can now start researching thoroughly.

Here's a copy from kentlive:

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/medway-woman-speaks-out-how-1813566

Thanks to this I've now got a lot more information then I probably ever have before including a time frame (September 84) which means that I can now start investigating properly.  :)

I would also like to know if there's anyone else her who actually remembers this from the time or has any information about that could be helpful.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines