News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WINNIE and POOH gun locations  (Read 544 times)

Offline Phantom

• Appreciation 0
Re: WINNIE and POOH gun locations
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 23:08:21 »
Bilgerat you have excellent eyesight !  Yes the gun is a deactivated Yugoslavian MG53, virtually identical to the `42 bar round size.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 18:24:15 »
Off topic I know, but is that an MG42 machine gun in the foreground? It might interest people to know, but that machine gun (in current MG3 guise, chambered for NATO 7.62mm x 51) is still in service with German and other armed forces to this day.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Phantom

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:41 »
Hello Phantom.
Yes, there was a TV programme a few years ago. I saw it and they were trying to find Winnie and eventually did. As can be seen from the pictures on the Winnie thread, both guns were partially below ground in concrete embrasures. After the war, when all the wartime relics (of which there were a lot along Dover Cliffs) were demolished, the supporting operational buildings for the guns were demolished and the concrete hole left by the guns filled in with the spoil.

In your second picture, you can make out the railway line approaching from the left and going up at 45 degrees to the right. It went past the Underground Dressing Station below Townsend Farm, crossed the road at the junction and went on to supply Pooh.

To the left (west) of Winnie not far way was a dummy Winnie, not so well camouflaged. The same, I believe, with Pooh, where obsolete railway lines were laid to appear like a supply route.

This website will tell you a great deal about the batteries along the cliff top, from Langdon, near Dover Castle, Fan Bay, Wanstone Farm, the rail-mounted guns, South Foreland and Bruce, which, as far as I can gather, only ever fired once. South Foreland is my favourite, having visited it many times.

Good Luck
Alastair
Thankyou, the whole area I find fascinating. I'm planning a four day trip to the Kent coast next year with members of my WW2 reenactment group. We all have a huge interest in coastal batteries.  I missed a  'Pas de Calais' trip last year because of a serious illness so need some "coastal battery" therapy !
Here's a pic of a small coastal battery my group built for a reenactment. . And yes. . we do the wrong side! ha ha ha

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 15:20:10 »
Hello Phantom.
Yes, there was a TV programme a few years ago. I saw it and they were trying to find Winnie and eventually did. As can be seen from the pictures on the Winnie thread, both guns were partially below ground in concrete embrasures. After the war, when all the wartime relics (of which there were a lot along Dover Cliffs) were demolished, the supporting operational buildings for the guns were demolished and the concrete hole left by the guns filled in with the spoil.

In your second picture, you can make out the railway line approaching from the left and going up at 45 degrees to the right. It went past the Underground Dressing Station below Townsend Farm, crossed the road at the junction and went on to supply Pooh.

To the left (west) of Winnie not far way was a dummy Winnie, not so well camouflaged. The same, I believe, with Pooh, where obsolete railway lines were laid to appear like a supply route.

This website will tell you a great deal about the batteries along the cliff top, from Langdon, near Dover Castle, Fan Bay, Wanstone Farm, the rail-mounted guns, South Foreland and Bruce, which, as far as I can gather, only ever fired once. South Foreland is my favourite, having visited it many times.

Good Luck
Alastair

Offline Phantom

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 21:16:56 »
Thank you very much for the replies. Wasn't there a dig for a TV programme at the winnie site a few years ago?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 232
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 20:14:29 »
Yes, both sites present and correct  :)

Offline Phantom

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 23:22:07 »
Thank you for your helpful replies.I've looked at the link for winning and poohave but no mention of the locations. I've done 2 site maps here, can anyone confirm if I've got the locations correct ?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 232
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 23:03:11 »
Get hold of a copy of After the Battle magazine number 29, Cross-Channel Guns. It has some aerial photos, taken 1980, that should allow you to work out where the guns were, as well as then and now shots.
Copies are still available @ http://www.afterthebattle.com/magazine/issues26-50.html
The cover photo is of the site of the German Batterie Lindemann.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 22:01:56 »
Hi and welcome to the Forum..

Have you had a look at this thread?
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6073.msg165535#msg165535
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Phantom

• Appreciation 0
WINNIE and POOH gun locations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 21:28:23 »
Whilst on a short holiday to St Margarets Bay Parkdean holiday park a couple of years ago, I tried to establish the exact locations of these two gun sites but failed miserably. I'm planning on going again in the new year with the intention of finding them. Could anybody show me (by means of Google earth map or similar) the exact spots. I would be very grateful as the holiday will be dedicated to visiting all the coastal battery sites.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines