News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Air Raid - Cazeneuve Street, Rochester 1940  (Read 503 times)

Offline Brian Barden

• Appreciation 0
Re: Air Raid - Cazeneuve Street, Rochester 1940
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 17:03:00 »
Hi Brian, ref. the bomb that hit East Row/Cazeneuve Street, my family lived at nine Union Street at that time, thus my interest in the incident.
Later in my life I served in the Royal Engineers (EOD), so I was able to make some enquiries regarding this incident. Records show the bomb was part of a "stick" dropped during a raid who's primary target was Short Bros aircraft factory manufacturing Stirling bombers. I can't remember a lot more detail, age has taken its toll. I suggest you try the Medway ARP records, l think they may be held at Maidstone. Also, I have a feeling one of the stick took a sizable chunk out of the concrete retaining wall on Delce Road? Hope this helps.
Thank you for this.  I will try the ARP records in Maidstone as you suggest.  I have a copy of "Rochester in Old Photographs" by Brenda Purle, dated 1989 - Alan Saffron Publishing.  On the bottom of P 61, there is a photo of Victoria Street, Cazeneuve Street showing the greengrocers on the corner which took a direct hit.  My uncle told me years ago that the rubble from the shop spread right across the road and because of the blackout, the fire engine crashed the rubble.  Another uncle, who was in the outside loo, had the door blown in on him and he had to be rescued!
As mentioned before, the family moved to Wickham Street and were bombed out again by the aerial mine.  This also caused damage to my mother's family house in May Road.  If you look on Google Earth and click on the slide to 1940, you can still see the damage done by the mine.  If you put the little yellow man on the bottom of St Williams Way, you can see where the wall was damaged because the concrete is a lot smoother than the original.
Best wishes.
MustangMan

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 17:51:45 »
Found the related threads here:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14978.msg122512#msg122512

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4117.msg33582#msg33582

The late peterchall seemed to know quite a bit about what happened.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 16:05:40 »
Thanks Smiffy! Yes indeed there are many references to bomb damage in the Troy town/Delce area on the forum, my apologies if my entry muddied the waters a bit, a genuine mistake on my part. The Delce road bomb was in fact an Aerial parachute mine dropped some time after the East Row/Cazeneuve incident. Can anyone give a date for the incident? I know it was early In the war, maybe 1941-42, perhaps.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 12:44:35 »
I think the Delce Road incident was caused by an aerial mine. There is a reference to it on the forum somewhere (unsurprisingly! :))

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:12 »
Hi Brian, ref. the bomb that hit East Row/Cazeneuve Street, my family lived at nine Union Street at that time, thus my interest in the incident.
Later in my life I served in the Royal Engineers (EOD), so I was able to make some enquiries regarding this incident. Records show the bomb was part of a "stick" dropped during a raid who's primary target was Short Bros aircraft factory manufacturing Stirling bombers. I can't remember a lot more detail, age has taken its toll. I suggest you try the Medway ARP records, l think they may be held at Maidstone. Also, I have a feeling one of the stick took a sizable chunk out of the concrete retaining wall on Delce Road? Hope this helps.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 12:30:37 »
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19520.0  :) :)

Had to walk to the Canteen on the corner for our School dinners from Rochester Tech. c1955.

Offline Brian Barden

• Appreciation 0
Air Raid - Cazeneuve Street, Rochester 1940
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:41 »
Seeking information and photos about the air raid on Cazeneuve Street, East Row, Rochester in 1940/41.
The bomb destroyed the grocers shop on the corner which was later replaed by a war time canteen.
My family lived in Cazeneuve Street and were bombed out.  They moved to Wickham Street and were
bombed out a second time.  I think I saw some photographs of Cazenue Street and Troy Town School on
this site, but I cannot find them again!  I maybe mistaken though.
MustangMan

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines