News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fort Amherst vandalism  (Read 312 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Fort Amherst vandalism
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:06 »
What on earth are people thinking doing this. I know when I was younger myself and my siblings would never dream of vandalising anywhere, we even played in the cemetery but had a code of not treading on graves out of respect.
Hope x

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 266
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 18:09:33 »
I do find it slightly contradictory though those so-called urban explorers are celebrated and the work shared on websites etc.  Yet at the end of the day, this is still trespass, and you do wonder how much this encourages others to enter sites illegally, leading to damage that we are now seeing.

I understand the sentiment, but technically, it's only trespass if you ignore signs telling you not to enter private property. This is not a criminal matter, it's civil and the redress is through the civil courts. If the urban explorers break into property, then it becomes a criminal offence, that of aggravated trespass and criminal damage.

I hope I'm not being naive in thinking that urban explorers wouldn't commit criminal damage and aggravated trespass and then post their 'work' on the internet for millions to potentially witness.

But, you're right, what occurred at Fort Amherst was just mindless vandalism for it's own sake, but the Trust needs to bear it's share of responsibility for not investing in proper security in the first place.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Jon

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 15:50:49 »
Sadly this and the events at the Canterbury Archaeology Trust show that nothing is really safe from mindless attacks.

It would appear that those involved do not value history and there is nothing off limits any more.

All historical sites need to look at their security and build this into bids they make for financing.

I do find it slightly contradictory though, those so-called urban explorers are celebrated and the work shared on websites etc.  Yet at the end of the day, this is still trespass, and you do wonder how much this encourages others to enter sites illegally, leading to damage that we are now seeing.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 266
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:43:05 »
I agree, it is very sad and is a symptom of whats going on recently with the crime wave we're all having to endure, but.... I hate to sound unsympathetic, but Chatham Historic Dockyard has comprehensive security for a reason. Perhaps they can spend part of the 1.8M they recently got from the Lottery on some decent security. Permanently close the entrance from the Great Lines and have only one entrance, beef up the fencing and spend some money on CCTV. People might whinge and whine about it but sadly, that's the world we're living in.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
Fort Amherst vandalism
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 21:57:37 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines