News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Machinery Part  (Read 1104 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Re: Machinery Part
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 13:39:15 »
Many thanks for that grandarog. I replied early today but the ipad froze and the message was lost.

The tine is lying just into the shaw from a field that has probably been under continuous cutivation for hundreds of years, presently wheat, so it looks as though it just was thrown away into the woods. They are an old coppice by the way.

The cutting wheel is in a narrow shaw that doesn't show signs of (recent) coppice work. It would certainly act as pretty good flywheel. Any idea what powered them, I cannot find an on-line reference to the activity at the moment.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 23:09:31 »
 Your first pic is a broken part of a finger tine, from an agricultural finger mower or an old self binder crop cutter.  The cutting blades slid to and fro` through the body. :)
The large wheel looks like it is a worn out, very old cutter wheel (poss. Victorian) from a wood cruncher m/c, used to chop up the small branches  not suitable for cord wood when the loggers were coppicing, in the old days. They were very heavy to utilise the fly wheel effect to prevent stalling under strain.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 23:06:53 »
Far too heavy, crude and "coarse" for any aviation use. It is more like a waterwheel in some ways, just what would that be doing on top of a hill in Kent, far from standing or running water?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 20:29:05 »
Just an idle thought - I'm no aviation expert but could it possibly be part of an old turbo prop engine?

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 17:59:54 »
While walking the dog again I've been back to the scene and cleared some of the leaves away. It is a solid disc with a boss in the centre fixed by twelve corroded bolts or rivets, each about an inch in diameter. So very substantial, heavy and probably not a road wheel, as that would almost certainly have been spoked.

If it was an impeller, the pump would have been quite large at 4foot diameter and a foot across, and therefore the power required quite considerable. Bear in mind that this is in a wooded area on top of a ridge, a considerable distance from any road access, and no open water as it's on top of the North Downs. Up to the mid 60's the fields were small, but after that a wide open prairie cultivation has been used for wheat or rape, around surviving bits of woodland.

So far I have not found a suitable old pump that it could have fitted. Or could it have been the business end of some sort of chopping device?

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 23:37:55 »
Great minds think alike Bilgerat  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 268
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 19:54:59 »
Looks like a pump impeller to me......
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 19:47:44 »
Possibly the innards from an old impeller pump,or turbine or some sort?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 15:34:12 »
In another shaw close to the first is this wheel. About 3-4ft across with a row of "teeth" each side, the central axle is about 3.5in wide.

I presume a tractor front wheel, or another implement? Could the first item be a spike from a rear wheel?

As I was taking the pictures Leila our Dutch Shepherd just had to have a good look :)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Machinery Part
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 16:33:51 »
I found this in a local Shaw when walking my dog. I presume it to be part of some agricultural machinery - any ideas?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines