News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The changing of the numbering of properties in Rochester High Street  (Read 758 times)

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
I can remember a large number of the shops in this part of Rochester High Street, no 68 was Theobalds newsagent and  tobacconist in the late 1950's to early 1960's. I would think that Ashe's was about no 82. I lived at no 106a. Working towards no68 I Can remember Leonards Shoe shop, W H Smith, Mence Smith, Greengrocer, City jewellers,Bakers shop, Hawksfields Coal Office, Tiber's ? Insurance, Kemsleys the butcher, a Bank, Casa Ventana Coffee Bar, Ashe's and a few more that I can't recall. Need someone with a late 1950's Kellys directory.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
The changing of the numbering of properties in Rochester High Street
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:58:04 »
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

According to 'Rochester in Old Photographs' by Brenda Purle, the numbering of High Street Rochester changed at some point. Can anyone give me a date when this happened, please.
The present No 68, backing onto the Cathedral doesn't resemble the shop that my mother once showed me as being the Tobacconist shop No 68, that she had lived over as a child. In 1919 Kelley's Directory W[inifred] Burney was there and somewhere between 1913-1918 it would have been either E or W Coxe. A lot seems to have changed even since I was last there with my mother in the early 1980s, and typically of the younger generation, not taking too much notice what was said and then suddenly it is too late!

Can someone also identify, with it's present number, the site where Ash's bookshop shop (also backing on to the Cathedral) was during and after the WW2. It had closed many years ago and a different trade was the occupant, although a member of the family was still living on the premises at the rear. I loved my visits there and seeing my distant Aunties!

Help would be much appreciated.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines