News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Christ Church Luton Cemetery  (Read 132 times)

Offline uplandsboy49

• Appreciation 0
Christ Church Luton Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 21:52:18 »
  In another subject on this forum, the plight of the victims of the Gotha Bomber attack on Chatham Docks with one only civilian casualty was discussed in detail and I added Tony Empett's photo of the Church Terrace house. Luton Village bombed from this sad event. I have tried to raise interest in getting some recognition of this through various people but so far nothing.
So Mary Longley who probably was the only civilian killed by direct enemy action in Medway in WW1, a 58 year old lady who had suffered the loss of a Son in France 6 months before, was buried in the Cemetery just opposite and still lies there in an unmarked grave. I believe a lot of people do not realise that they may not be living today if someone had not died during WW1. My Grandmother lost her first Husband in 1917 so I am here from her second marriage, so perhaps more thought should be given to this. I had hoped to stir up some interest in getting a memorial stone or similar for Mary before 11th November but...….. The Churchyard is no longer Church owned. They knew nothing about the events of 1917 when I visited.
Does the "Lest we forget" include civilians? . Corrections to my details are welcome of course. I doubt though that any other casualties ever occurred in Luton Village area from enemy action in WW1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines