News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Isolation Hospitals  (Read 1813 times)

Online filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Re: Isolation Hospitals
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:22 »
I know of the Fant Lane hospital as we used to have a shop at the top of Western Road (actually two in the end), and my business partner was a local who did call it the old Fever Hospital. Later used as a maternity unit, I think.

The Hollingbourne hospital is hidden in woods, the Lenham Sanitorium was the one visible from the A20 just past Lenham, where the Pilgrims Way crosses Rayners Hill which runs up to Warren Street. That was a convalescent home I believe.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 19:29:06 »
filmer01. I wonder whether that hospital in Fant Lane was what they called " the Fever Hospital" in Maidstone? In 1937/38 my wife went there with scarlet fever & was the only child (8) there. No visitors so she was very lonely but the nurses were very good.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 19:10:03 »
In the 40'/50's the Hollingbourne Isolation Hospital was used for tuberculosis patients. In those days, fresh air- & plenty of it- was the only treatment. Hence, the wards all faced South with double doors opening onto a balcony where patients in their beds where wheeled out to " enjoy" the sun, wind, rain & snow almost every day. They could be seen from the Ashford Road( A20).

Online Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 268
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 14:14:39 »
Joyce Green, Dartford.
It was built between 1901 and 1903 by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a smallpox isolation hospital to replace the ships previously used for that purpose moored in the Thames nearby. It was later used for the hospitalization of patients with other infectious diseases such as diphtheria, scarlet fever, measles and whooping-cough. It ultimately became a general hospital as part of the NHS before finally closing and being demolished in 2000.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/725215

Also at Dartford, two temporary hospitals, the Orchard, built 1901/2 to cope with a smallpox epidemic, and Long Reach, also built 1901. Also at Dartford the Mabledon, and The Southern.
See dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk

See here:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14487

Just noticed the missing pictures. I'll find those and replace them when I get five minutes.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 11:48:08 »
Be careful over interpreting "fever flag".  The International Code of Signals (ICS) of 1934 established the modern convention that a single Q (quebec) flag means "my ship is healthy and I request free pratique".  However two Q flags means "my ship is suspect".  All vessels arriving from abroad should fly one or the other signals, but from observation few do.  I suspect that radio is used today. 

Prior to 1934 Q meant "my ship is suspect", the exact opposite of today!  Part of the reason for the change is that a ship not claiming to be healthy is assumed not to be so.

Flag L (lima) indicates that a vessel is actually in quarantine.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Signals for illustrations of quebec and lima.

That's the Q flag. It is flown on the starboard side by all vessels making its first landfall in a country. It is flown until it has been cleared by customs and immigration. Until all formalities have been completed no one is a lowed to board or leave the vessel.  Historically it is likely that vessels carrying sick crew or passengers may have had to remain in Quarantine until it had cleared up. ie. continue to fly the Q flag until the authorities were happy that there was no longer a  threat of disease coming ashore.     

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 22:44:43 »
Your memory is correct, Q is a plain yellow flag.  The launch attending a ship may well have been completing customs formalities or possibly just dealing with pilotage.  In the 1960s landsmen may well have been unaware of the 1934 regulations and the change they brought.  Still whatever you heard then, for the last 80 years a single Q flag indicates a healthy ship.  Please refer to Reed's Almanac or any relevant RYA publication for verification.  The current issue of the MCA's Ship Captain's Medical Guide requires the master to radio in advance if there is notifiable disease aboard, so Q flags are less important than previously.

To quote from the RYA Yachtmaster Manual:
When you require customs clearance for any reason, you should hoist the Q flag (plain yellow) once in territorial waters and keep it hoisted until formalities are complete.
  The rules for ships and yachts are the same.  By flying Q you are announcing that you are inbound from foreign parts and are healthy, hence requesting "free pratique" or communication with the shore.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 21:19:01 »
I remember it as a yellow flag and people pointed it out and called it the 'fever flag.'
A couple of times I saw the launch attend a ship. May be just a check. There were still smallpox outbreaks in those days.
Even in the 1960s when I worked by the river occasionally you would hear people remark there had been a ship flying the flag.
mmitch.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 10:57:39 »
Be careful over interpreting "fever flag".  The International Code of Signals (ICS) of 1934 established the modern convention that a single Q (quebec) flag means "my ship is healthy and I request free pratique".  However two Q flags means "my ship is suspect".  All vessels arriving from abroad should fly one or the other signals, but from observation few do.  I suspect that radio is used today. 

Prior to 1934 Q meant "my ship is suspect", the exact opposite of today!  Part of the reason for the change is that a ship not claiming to be healthy is assumed not to be so.

Flag L (lima) indicates that a vessel is actually in quarantine.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Signals for illustrations of quebec and lima.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:45 »
In the 1950/60s on the Thames at Gravesend. There were two converted barges anchored at both ends by the shipping lane at which a launch was based. When a ship came up the river flying the 'fever flag' the launch would go and collect the casualty. They were examined on the barge before being taken by the launch to either Denton or later Joyce Green Isolation hospitals.
mmitch.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 23:07:59 »
Joyce Green, Dartford.
It was built between 1901 and 1903 by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a smallpox isolation hospital to replace the ships previously used for that purpose moored in the Thames nearby. It was later used for the hospitalization of patients with other infectious diseases such as diphtheria, scarlet fever, measles and whooping-cough. It ultimately became a general hospital as part of the NHS before finally closing and being demolished in 2000.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/725215

Also at Dartford, two temporary hospitals, the Orchard, built 1901/2 to cope with a smallpox epidemic, and Long Reach, also built 1901. Also at Dartford the Mabledon, and The Southern.
See dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 21:42:11 »

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 19:56:47 »
Hollingbourne Isolation Hospital for infectious diseases, Hospital Road. North of the A20 between Hollingbourne and Harrietsham, South of the railway line.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 15:52:52 »
St Williams Hospital in Rochester was an isolation hospital at one time. Demolished and now  the Wisdom Hospice in it's place.

Thank you, hadn't realised it started as 'infectious diseases'.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 15:46:45 »
There was an Infectious disease hospital off the east side of Fant Lane in Maidstone, where Abbots Field is now.

Got it! Thanks... presumably that's the later maternity hospital?

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 15:36:15 »
There was an isolation ward at Fort Clarence, for soldiers mostly returning from the Far East. Got a feeling it was titled "The Bastion Fever Hospital".

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines