News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Isolation Hospitals  (Read 1349 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
Re: Isolation Hospitals
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 21:17:40 »
The isolation hospital at Queenborough was a proposal only.

I have posted the 1917 article on the Wottons Farm isolation hospital @ http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=425.0

The Westminster isolation hospital was in use from 1878 to 1915. See http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4470.0
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 18:02:52 »
It looks like the hospital building at West Minster was the one seen here to the upper right of the pair of houses. It isn't on the map before or after this one so couldn't have been there for very long.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 14:50:09 »
I think the one at Queenborough is likely to be the pair of house at West Minster, just a few hundred yards North? 1907 Map attached (not on 1898 or 1930s)... if there's another one so nearby in Queenborough, I'll be very interested! Can't see anything on the maps though.

(An isolation hospital was set up in the early years of the 20th century, made up of one large and two semi-detached buildings. For the quarter ending September 1914, when the population of Sheppey was 4,157 people, it was noted: “This district possesses a smallpox hospital with accommodation for eight patients.”
However, by 1915, the problems of hygiene standards became overwhelming and alternative arrangements had to be made. The result was a decision for Sittingbourne and Milton Joint Hospital Board to receive and treat all cases of smallpox arising in Sheppey. The Island facility became redundant.) Sorry, no references, I need to track them down again - I think the quote is from the medical officer of Health Report, but I'll check.

I have seen references to the Wootton's Farm / Brambledown one on here, but I can't find anything on 1907 or 1930s OS maps, so presumably it opened and closed between those dates. Wootton's Farm and the farm or house called Brambledown look to be about 200 yards apart on the map, so maybe it was just a farm cottage, being used for the purpose without formal adoption as an isolation Hospital? Or maybe I just need a 1920s map.

Any more info welcomed of course...

Mark.

CDP's index of Sheppey newspapers lists the following.

4 Aug 1900. Isolation Hospital at Queenborough.
I will look this up next time I am at the library in a week or so.

12 May 1917. Hospital on Woottons Farm.
Unfortunately this year is missing from Sheerness library.

26 March 1931. Isolation Hospital in Stickfast Lane (Elm Lane).
"Two homes, a number of chickens, a valuable Alsation dog, were destroyed in a disastrous fire which broke out at the old Isolation Hospital, since coverted into two dwelling houses, Stickfast Lane, Minster, on Saturday night."  Extract from a much longer piece on the fire. Another newspaper report on the fire states that "The building was the old army Isolation Hospital" and that it was built "of wood and corrugated iron." Wottons Farm is on Stickfast/Elm Lane so it seems that this is the same hospital as referred to 12 May 1917.
Brambledown is close to Stickfast/Elm Lane, so I think that this is the hospital that Kyn is referring to here, which suggests the hospital was open till at least 1922.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 23:13:32 »
CDP's index of Sheppey newspapers lists the following.

4 Aug 1900. Isolation Hospital at Queenborough.
I will look this up next time I am at the library in a week or so.

12 May 1917. Hospital on Woottons Farm.
Unfortunately this year is missing from Sheerness library.

26 March 1931. Isolation Hospital in Stickfast Lane (Elm Lane).
"Two homes, a number of chickens, a valuable Alsation dog, were destroyed in a disastrous fire which broke out at the old Isolation Hospital, since coverted into two dwelling houses, Stickfast Lane, Minster, on Saturday night."  Extract from a much longer piece on the fire. Another newspaper report on the fire states that "The building was the old army Isolation Hospital" and that it was built "of wood and corrugated iron." Wottons Farm is on Stickfast/Elm Lane so it seems that this is the same hospital as referred to 12 May 1917.
Brambledown is close to Stickfast/Elm Lane, so I think that this is the hospital that Kyn is referring to here, which suggests the hospital was open till at least 1922.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 14:22:11 »
I believe the woods to the left of Hospital Hill Hempstead was an isolation hospital.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 21:45:10 »
Click on the image file link just below the map for the full picture... I wasn't making it up, honest, it was Strood! I suppose every district put "it's" isolation hospital as far away as it could manage...

Hi mmitch,

Would that have been Strood isolation Hospital, as shown on the map here, do you think - just off the A2 / Watling Street...

Thanks,
Mark
I cannot see the wording as it is off the edge of the map but the general location is about right, but Strood that's about 5 miles away!
Thong village was nearer!
mmitch.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 21:18:42 »
Hi mmitch,

Would that have been Strood isolation Hospital, as shown on the map here, do you think - just off the A2 / Watling Street...

Thanks,
Mark
I cannot see the wording as it is off the edge of the map but the general location is about right, but Strood that's about 5 miles away!
Thong village was nearer!
mmitch.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 13:36:52 »
Can find no information on this one near Otford - would this be listed as Sevenoaks?. The buildings still seem to exist but for some reason are blurred out on GSV.

Exactly that, see this excerpt from Fever Hospitals and Fever Nurses: A British Social History of Fever Nurses, a book by Margaret Currie (2005, p.63.). Click on the link below the image to see the full picture.

Also, "Wickham Field - This private road on the north side of Pilgrims Way West is the former local authority Isolation Hospital (1904), the main brick-built buildings, wards, etc., of which were converted into single-storey private dwellings and twostoreyflats c1960" from https://www.otford.info/

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 13:06:03 »
Can find no information on this one near Otford - would this be listed as Sevenoaks?. The buildings still seem to exist but for some reason are blurred out on GSV.

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 12:12:43 »
Hi mmitch,

Thanks,
Mark

Just remembered there was a 'isolation hospital' off Valley drive, Gravesend.  It was derelict in the 1940s. I found this reference on another thread.
 http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3207.75
The warren is still an open space. As we walked along the then narrow lane towards the A2 passed the Warren there were wood and brick buildings some of which were probably the RAF sick quarters. Certainly my family called it the old isolation hospital.
mmitch.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 10:43:39 »
Just remembered there was a 'isolation hospital' off Valley drive, Gravesend.  It was derelict in the 1940s. I found this reference on another thread.
 http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3207.75
The warren is still an open space. As we walked along the then narrow lane towards the A2 passed the Warren there were wood and brick buildings some of which were probably the RAF sick quarters. Certainly my family called it the old isolation hospital.
mmitch.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 20:26:04 »
White Oak Hospital, Swanley. Originally for children who were suffering from contagious diseases of the eyes, skin and scalp.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 12:15:39 »
Fant Lane:

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 09:10:27 »
And there I was thinking I'd found them all, or nearly all! Thanks for the pointers, and of course the reminder that many other hospitals started as isolation and infectious diseases. I was too focused on cottage sized isolation hospitals in my mental definition, but of course there were some enormous ones (and wards & blocks in other 'normal' hospitals). And the Dartford fever hospitals story is a whole epic of its own (with a couple of good books by Francine Payne to fill in the detail), with fever ships, river ambulances and large sites taking London's patients safely out of the way (safely for London at least, not necessarily for the patients or for Kent). A bit more work to do, this forum is full of knowledge as always!

Offline zumiweb

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:01 »

Thank you - I knew of the Hollingbourne one, but no idea where it was... found it now, just half a mile or so North East of Leeds Castle...

The Hollingbourne hospital is hidden in woods, the Lenham Sanitorium was the one visible from the A20 just past Lenham, where the Pilgrims Way crosses Rayners Hill which runs up to Warren Street. That was a convalescent home I believe.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines