News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warren Wood when were the white houses built ?  (Read 14797 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Warren Wood when were the white houses built ?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 17:56:30 »
Thank you Smiffy, its lovely to see the prefabs ,was a lovely community feel to the estate then and luckily enough the estate has kept that feeling.
Hope x

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 13:51:07 »
Not 100% certain, but possibly another photo of the Warren Wood prefabs.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 18:28:05 »
I`ve seen this picture before. One of the elderly ladies I know who still lives on the estate had this and she said it was her road, Orion road and Leander road. I`m sure I have other photos somewhere which I was allowed to have copies of for a project I was doing many years ago, I must try to find them.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 14:51:18 »
Yes Warren Wood. Believe this is the same spot.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 04:27:05 »
It is Warren Wood .

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 21:36:10 »
Photo here, believed to be Warren Wood prefabs. Perhaps a member can confirm?

Rochester-bred

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 18:55:13 »
After the prefabs were pulled down, they first built the brick houses then later what we call the white houses. At first they had tiles on the upper parts of them then later had white plastic cladding hence our nickname 'The white houses'. These homes, built in the 60s, are of poorer standard build compared to the brick ones.

KeithJG

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 19:04:35 »
My stepmother, who died some 8 months ago, lived at the bottom of Ajax Road on the left hand corner and her address was 59, Arethusa Road.

She left there to marry my Father in March 1961 but do not know when she moved in there.

I know very little about this area coming from Gillingham and then Frindsbury when I was 8yrs......so what are the "White Houses" please?

ranred

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:06 »
Just been reading this thread so I thought I would add my piece. Both sets of grandparents lived in Warren Wood, (my dad`s parents still do). One over in Ajax Close and the other, over the road on Ajax Road, so when me and my sister stayed there in the school holidays and at weekends we used go between each grandparents house. My nan and grandad still live at number 1 Ajax road and have done since it was built. They used to live in the prefabs (can't remember the road where it was).
Everytime I visit them, just driving around the estate brings back memories from being a kid.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 17:27:26 »
AlanH, my uncle Noel later married Audrey and also lived in the white houses. It has certainly got the community feel to it still and a lot of those who grew up round there still do, well that`s a good bit of info on the date of the white houses for me.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 09:39:57 »
Hi RB!
I've been thinking (very hard to do these days) and I reckon those white clad houses were probably built about the late 60s as we moved into No 79 WWR (I think) in 1969 -70 or very close to that. We left in April '72 to come to Australia where we still live.
Close neighbours were Dave and Jan Thompson,  Audrey and Fred Woollet(sp), they had a daughter named Audra, Timmy and Gina Hoare, (I knew Tim from infants school, Troy Town and on) Dave & Angela Strutt, John Uden who may have been the Yuden you mentioned and many more and hopefully some of these are on this forum or are known to members and can help a bit more.   
John Uden was a cabbie at the same time as me and I remember him visiting me when I was ill with a bad case of pleurisy about 1970.
It really was a nice place to live in those days as they continued the demolition of the pre fabs and built the “white houses”.
Many of us had known each other for years and that contributed to a good atmosphere.
Cheers.
AlanH.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 15:30:20 »
Many years ago when I worked on the old Chatham News, I use to spend some lunchtimes in the cellar reading through the old bound copies of the News. I can't remember the date but one article was about the 'new estate' at Warren Wood and referred to it as the 'Fleet Estate' as the roads were mostly named after Royal Navy ships either built in Chatham or with a strong local link. I also found another article that referred to the estate around the Burma Way area as the 'Victory Estate, which I suppose follows as the roads are largely named after World War 2 personalities or places.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:33:19 »
A lot of names I remember there especially Tim who's house I was often in with friends and Mick who took us all out in his car, good old days. The workman said the Asbestos would be fine as it was of a low level.

interested

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 22:05:21 »
Hello,
I wouldn't worry to much about the asbestos, I scrape the stuff off quite often and plaster over it, have done for years. What I remember about Ajax Rd., it was big enough, I think my mum and dad wanted to own their own house so we moved to St Williams Way when I was about six. Some of the names I remember from Warren Wood are: the Russel Dimwoody, Patrick Watson, Ian Scott, John Terry, Gillian Lambkin my first girlfriend, Timothy Evandon,  Mick Askew, Kevin Belsey. The spelling may not be right.
Ian

Rochester-bred

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 21:36:33 »
That would be great seeing some pictures, the surname Yuden rings a bell and having spent a good time in my youth around Warren Wood. Being the same age as you, we probably knew a few people in common. The older houses in the bottom roads Ajax, Orion, Pennant etc., are a lot smaller than the white houses so I guess it was a bit crowded for your family, mind you, we didn't have so much back in them days as they do in homes now. Strangely enough I have just had my White house tested for Asbestos and it has been found in the floors, walls and ceilings in Artex, so it seems the problem never went with the demolition of the prefabs.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines