News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Any photos of The Common, Rochester?  (Read 574 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Re: Any photos of The Common, Rochester?
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:09:19 »
Even has the road name on the house, Corporation Street. :)

Let’s hope that the photographer took a few more further up the road!
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 22:26:40 »
Photograph showing St. Nicholas's School and the end houses on the far left of the second photo in mikeb's post. Interesting to note that the oldest structure in this photograph is the only one that's still standing.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 21:30:12 »

I'm a little lost about the telegraph pole, very substantial, multiple arms, the sort of thing that I would normally associate with a railway, but then the houses don't fit, even those just under the railway by the river.

In smiffys post of 6th Feb 2018 on Rochester Market he shows a photo with a telegraph post with the same number of arms, i.e. eight. I am not suggesting they are the same post but could be connected physically, across the road. I deduce therefore, that while the post has a significant number of arms, it is not uncommon for that location.
DTT

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 16:41:07 »
I think you are right filmer01, looking at the attached, the "square" set back from the road (red blob) matches, I think, the photo. But like you the telegraph pole and the large building behind remain a mystery.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 15:40:03 »
mikeb, I have tried to match the buildings to the contemporary 25inch map, and the best that I can do is the end of The Common, where it becomes Free School Lane.

There could be sight of the bend in the road at the far left of the houses, and a substantial building on the far side - a school?

Another school building, at the far end of the cattle market would therefore stand opposite the buildings shown in these two photos.

I'm a little lost about the telegraph pole, very substantial, multiple arms, the sort of thing that I would normally associate with a railway, but then the houses don't fit, even those just under the railway by the river.

All made more complicated than necessary as four maps intersect in the middle of where you are trying to look.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 14:21:13 »
I have these two entitled "The Common Rochester" but I'm not sure of their precise location. I believe they may have come from Medway Archives.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 22:38:36 »
Here is a couple first from 1940  and the second from 1960.
Hope x

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 22:23:41 »
Hi filmer01,

I have some aerial photo's that show these houses. If you want to pm me I'll send them to you.

smiffy.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Any photos of The Common, Rochester?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 16:50:40 »
I am going back over my early Ancestry entries, and in the 1901 Census my 17 year old Grandfather lived at 38 The Common with three of his older sisters and a younger brother. This house was the first after Hayward House (aka House of Industry) and the row fronted Davis's Square. There was a tantalising glimpse from a photo of the era on a KHF train station thread, but it was only of part of the side of the distant Square.

This property looks to have faced straight down Pump Lane (later Northgate), so may have been caught in shots of that road, or Hayward House. Medway Archives do not have any such pictures online, at least none that I could find.

Can anyone point me to one, or provide a link?

The eldest sister was listed as "Housekeeper", she stayed close to her brother in later life, the two other sisters were both bakery shop assistants, and my grandfather a bread baker. I remember him talking about working for Jaspers, and curiously always referred to Mrs Jasper. Their father was a baker, with a shop on New Road Chatham at this time. One of the sisters married their fathers assistant and emigrated to Canada where they had a successful bakery. The other went to New Zealand with her husband. The young brother was only 8 and at school, and he also became a baker, joining up in 1916 from the family business, then in Gillingham.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines