News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Football Ground in Brompton.  (Read 214 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: Football Ground in Brompton.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 13:08:31 »
Stewie, the New Brompton Football and Athletic ground (Priestfields) already existed by the time of this map - the Garrison ground came later and is the one opposite the King Charles Hotel in Brompton Road. I'm not sure if the Royal Engineers, Marines, etc had any of their own proper football fields at this time, so perhaps the one on the map may have been used for service matches? The pub was the Halfway House.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: Football Ground in Brompton.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 08:16:08 »
Hi Gram07

I think you are talking about the Garrison ground in the Brompton area of Gillingham, here is the wiki article for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrison_Stadium,_Gillingham

I believe the Garrison was built as a sports stadium for the locally based armed forces in the Medway Towns. Note that there are some further fields up at Kings Bastion near to the Naval war memorial which are used for local youth leagues cup finals. I believe that these are also referred to as the Garrison sports ground.

Local football club Gillingham FC were origanlly called 'New Brompton' and played in this area before moving to their present ground at Priestfield Stadium though I am not sure where they played in Brompton.

Offline Gram07

• Appreciation 0
Football Ground in Brompton.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:47 »
Hello all,

Iím not from - or resident of the area, registering in the hope of solving a little mystery.

The attached map is c1895. Can any light be shed on the football ground & clubs that may have had use of it? Iíve thumbed through many newspaper archive pages &, though coming across numerous club names of that time, I canít cross reference any with this ground - which appears to have been addressed on Church - now Trinity Road, Mill Road or maybe Saunders Street. I assume the area is (New) Brompton.

While Iíve concentrated on soccer clubs, it may have been used for rugby or by a school, local works or similar. It would be interesting to learn the name of that former pub as. due to its close proximity, would have made an ideal headquarters at the time.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme;

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines