News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Bricklayers Arms,Hoopers Place,Troy Town, Rochester  (Read 310 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: The Bricklayers Arms,Hoopers Place,Troy Town, Rochester
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 20:51:03 »
Ind Coope purchased the pub from Budden & Biggs in 1931 and had quite a bit of other property in the area, so perhaps they then decided to extend the pub?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 19:37:52 »
From your map smiffy it looks like the pub has taken over number 1, or maybe it was originally a corner pub that expanded into number 3.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:30:16 »
A bit of a clearer view of this pub's location. The other one shown on the corner of Henry street was called the Life Boat.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 00:09:24 »
Here's the map.I'm assuming that the place was,as is normal,numbered odds and evens on opposite sides of the road with the odds on the left as you enter.(radial roads were normally numbered with the low numbers starting from the town centre).This would make number three the second building on the left as you entered.This makes sense as the building shown on the map is the largest in the road with an extension on the back,possibly a small hall,meeting room or skittle alley.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 22:48:03 »
Sorry, don't have any pictures of the Bricklayers arms, but it was definitely 3 Hoopers place.
Hoopers place was a small square of houses (open on one side) in the Troy town area. The houses at the back of the square backed onto the Troy Town school play ground. I courted a young lady, a miss Cox, who lived next to the pub with her grand parents,
The pub was fairly small, it had a bottle and jug plus a public bar. I think it was a Style and Winch house.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 21:20:53 »
Smiffy, I found two different numbers for it too, I know that Hoopers place has long gone and nearby now is Hoopers road but can`t find much info or pics about the place.
Hope x

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 20:16:37 »
Can't find a photo, but there seems to have been some renumbering as this pub is also listed as No.3 Hooper's Place.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
The Bricklayers Arms,Hoopers Place,Troy Town, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 16:46:32 »
Does anyone have a photo of  'The Bricklayers Arms' 27 Hoopers place, Troy Town, Rochester, now demolished as has Hoopers place, now long gone. Thank you.
Hope x

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines