News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Farnborough Kent Windmill ?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Farnborough Kent Windmill ?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 23:11:54 »
I think kyn intended for the forum to be fully functional over the Christmas period as she talks about making new posts, but things seem to have gone a bit wrong...

For you and anyone else that doesn't know, I believe the forum was closed because it seems to have been hacked by one or more individuals who were changing posts and pictures, making nonsense of some of the threads. Your guess is as good as mine as to why anyone would want to do this.

I was told it was because dear Kyn has had a lot on her plate with her family being extremely poorly with one illness after another ,she works so hard to keep this going and needed to concentrate on her family and we understand they come first ,I hope she is ok ,it must be so hard trying to juggle things and we understand her family must come first bless her .
Hope x

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:17:16 »
Had been wondering what had been going on, lets hope we can get back to normal next year, you don`t realise how much you miss something until it is suddenly not there.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 22:55:52 »
I think kyn intended for the forum to be fully functional over the Christmas period as she talks about making new posts, but things seem to have gone a bit wrong...

For you and anyone else that doesn't know, I believe the forum was closed because it seems to have been hacked by one or more individuals who were changing posts and pictures, making nonsense of some of the threads. Your guess is as good as mine as to why anyone would want to do this.

Offline kms

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 21:00:32 »

This wasn't a new post, but a reply to Dave's... perhaps we can only reply to existing posts..........

EDIT.... just scanned a few posts and this seems to the only one with a REPLY box!

Offline kms

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 20:57:06 »
Hi kms, hope you had a happy Christmas.

Completely unrelated, but I'm wondering how you managed to make this post as the forum seems to be read-only for me. I assume that this is the same for everyone else as there have been no other new posts apart from yours, which also seems to be the only one with a "reply" option!

Smiffy, I thought was weird too, but then you've replied and I've replied. Still odd how its the only new post!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 13:10:19 »
Hi kms, hope you had a happy Christmas.

Completely unrelated, but I'm wondering how you managed to make this post as the forum seems to be read-only for me. I assume that this is the same for everyone else as there have been no other new posts apart from yours, which also seems to be the only one with a "reply" option!

Offline kms

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 15:52:39 »
No documentary evidence for one that I've found Dave, and it could a corrupted name.

In my book, I wrote:

"Much caution is placed here in claiming mill sites on the basis of field names.  I have deliberately avoided including these, as their provenance is often weakened by corruption of field names over time.  With the village of Chelsfield, a field on the border of the parish with Orpington, seen in 19th century field names as ‘Windmill Field’, is almost certainly a corruption of a previous name ‘Wimble Field’ as marked on a sixteenth century plan.   Other well known field names such as ‘Windmill Hill Wood’ in St Mary Cray, ‘Mill Hill’ in Farnborough village, and ‘Mill Field’ in Deptford , probably do point to ancient windmill sites, but without any form of recorded historical supporting documentation are not included.  "

Offline Dave Lowe

• Appreciation 0
Farnborough Kent Windmill ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 21:43:35 »
In the church fields in Farnborough Kent ( London Bromley now ! ) there is a "Mill Hill" I suppose at one time there was a windmill on the hill, I can find no record of it, has any one any information ?
Thank You

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines