News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Original Chatham Synagogue  (Read 777 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: Original Chatham Synagogue
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 21:56:44 »
In 1760 I was with our very own General Jeffery Amherst when he won Montreal from those pesky Frenchies. And what a glorious day that was. Huzzah!

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
    • The Upchurch Collection
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 18:20:36 »
This is from the OS map which dates to just before the reconstruction, which gives some idea as to the position and layout of the original structure.

Thx very much Smithy. I am grateful. What was it like for you in 1760?

( Sorry! )

Kind Regards
Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 15:33:37 »
There's an interesting history at https://www.chathamshul.org.uk/history which confirms the existence of the earlier Synagogue.

Online HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 14:58:48 »
The Catalogue of the Anglo-Jewish Historical Exhibition: 1887. is available online @ http://archive.org/details/catalogueofanglo00angluoft/page/n1
No photos or illustrations.

547. Old Chatham Synagogue.
Lead pencil sketch of synagogue, supposed to have been built about the year 1760 on part of the ground at present occupied by the Chatham Memorial Synagogue, demolished in 1869.

548. Chatham Synagogue.
Plan. Erected in 1870 by Simon Magnus, in memory of his only son, Captain Lazarus Simon Magnus.

548a. Chatham Synagogue.
Interior. Photo.

Other items from Chatham also appeared in the exhibition.
1013. Portrait of Rev. Solomon Herschell.
1202. Ground plan.
1371. Curtain for Ark.
1484/85. Pointers for Scroll of the Law.
1551. Shophar.

Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 14:51:51 »
This is from the OS map which dates to just before the reconstruction, which gives some idea as to the position and layout of the original structure.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 12:19:23 »
I might have been given wrong dates then. It was claimed my dates were for the Original Chatham Synagogue featured in a catalogue for the Anglo-Jewish Historical Exhibition of 1887. It was claimed that the Synagogue was built in 1870.  Your dates precede mine, so my dates can't be for " an original synagogue".

Thx

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Online HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 11:13:50 »
The original Chatham Synagogue was built c.1750. It was demolished to make way for the present Synagogue which was opened and consecrated in 1869.
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:06 »
Thx for the link Lyn. I am looking for photographs  prior to the present Synagogue. It was, I believe at the same location as the existing one. Built in 1870.

Thank you

Hello:

Looking for a friend, has anyone seen a photograph of the original Chatham Synagogue? It was built in 1870 and featured in the Anglo-Jewish Historical Exhibition of 1887.

There was a catalogue printed for the exhibition and two items are listed 548: Plan of Chatham Synagogue & 548A Photograph of the interior of Chatham Synagogue.

I sure my friend will be able to get hold of the catalogue from the Kent History Centre in Maidstone but I wondered if members have seen photographs from that time.

As ever grateful for any help please!

Thank you

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 19:59:56 »
No good for this year but look out for Heritage Open days 2019.

This is this years

Chatham Memorial Synagogue, 366 High Street, Rochester, Kent, ME1 1DJ

Explore this unique Grade 2* building – the only synagogue in the country with its burial ground attached. Designed by H. H. Collins of London and built by J. G. Naylar of Rochester in the 1860s.

Built in the 1860s, Chatham Memorial Synagogue replaced the previous wooden structure, which had served the local Jewish community as a place of worship for about 100 years.

Designed by H.H. Collins of London and built by J.G. Naylar of Rochester, this Byzantine style synagogue was financed by local businessman Simon Magnus in the memory of his son. Situated near the border with Chatham the synagogue officially opened in 1870. “... the general effect... the is one of grandeur and impressiveness,” – stated a local newspaper. “At the east end is the sanctuary…This portion of the building is especially unique.... The roof is of tinted glass through which the light is thrown upon tessellated pavement below with great effectiveness.”

Chatham Memorial Synagogue is the only synagogue in the country which has its burial ground attached to it, though still fully complying with the Jewish Law. The earliest burials go back to the middle of the 18th century. This is the only purpose-built synagogue in Kent which is still operating.

Opening Times
Sunday 16 September: 1100-1500 - drop-in.

Or try this 

There is a 360' tour here

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 19:01:24 »
Mikegunnill,
 Look at CURRENT   Places of Worship  and you will find photo's  and more info. Chatham Memorial Synagogue
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
Original Chatham Synagogue
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 17:18:10 »
Hello:

Looking for a friend, has anyone seen a photograph of the original Chatham Synagogue? It was built in 1870 and featured in the Anglo-Jewish Historical Exhibition of 1887.

There was a catalogue printed for the exhibition and two items are listed 548: Plan of Chatham Synagogue & 548A Photograph of the interior of Chatham Synagogue.

I sure my friend will be able to get hold of the catalogue from the Kent History Centre in Maidstone but I wondered if members have seen photographs from that time.

As ever grateful for any help please!

Thank you

Mike
Mike Gunnill

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines