News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ice Houses in Kent  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16

Offline kms

• Appreciation 13
Re: Ice Houses in Kent
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 22:59:50 »
It was a very long time ago, but I have a feeling there is one at the park in Kearsney, Dover...  certainly remember a big dome.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 14:18:01 »
Hi Tom,

Looks like Queen Mary's Hospital was built right on top of it.

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 13:28:39 »
When I was a lad (say up to the mid 1960s) there were the remains of an ice house in Frognal Avenue/Watery Lane, Sidcup.  17th century according to Historic England and once associated with Frognal House.  I can't spot it on Google Earth (though the un-built-up parts of the area are much more overgrown these days) but I suspect it no longer exists.
Going slightly outside the borders of Kent, there is a well-preserved ice house in the grounds of Battle Abbey.
Regards,
Tom Burnham, Staplehurst

Offline pandy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 21:29:58 »
There is an ice house adjacent to the lake in Mote Park. For many years the entrance was open and the chamber was filled with all kinds of rubbish. The opening has been bricked up for probably fifteen years and the path alongside overgrown and in disuse. The location - At the waterfall the path around the lake leads you up rising ground. At the top of this rising ground the ice house is below. The bricked up entrance can be seen if you are prepared to negotiate the bramble and nettle of the lower track.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 08:20:28 »
It certainly was about 20 years ago.  You only go as far as the entrance to the chamber itself, there is no access down ladders to the bottom!

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 21:41:29 »
The Commissioners ice house entrance.
The lights and signs seem to indicate that it is open to the public.

ChathamHDYIceHouse0009
Clem Rutter, Rochester Kent [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 21:01:19 »
Yes, it is in the corner of the back garden of commissioners house, right hand side as you face the garden.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 20:05:04 »
Commissioners House. Chatham Dockyard. there is an 18th C icehouse in the corner of the Commissioners Garden.

Is this one still there ,I would like to have a look if it is as I am near to it.
Hope x

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 23:02:19 »
Commissioners House. Chatham Dockyard. there is an 18th C icehouse in the corner of the Commissioners Garden.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 22:34:50 »
I was about to order the book The Ice Houses of Britain from the library (£145 0n Amazon!) when I found out that KCC had already done the research  :)
webapps.kent.gov.uk/kcc.exploringkentspast.web.sites.public/SingleResult.aspx?uid=SKE8293

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 14:03:58 »
There are two that I know of, one that seems to be associated with the Commandants Quarters for Kitchener Barracks and another that probably belonged to Rome House. Unlikely that there is a trace of either still existing. (I tried to upload maps that show them but it appears that the attachment function is no longer available).

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:10:06 »
There's something there according to this aerial view: https://www.bing.com/maps/?mkt=en-gb&v=2&cp=51.21898~0.711962&lvl=15&sp=Point.51.21898_0.711962_Chilston%20Park  See to the right of the path, level with the bottom of the circular feature.  Nothing is visible on the on-line OS maps however.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 16:38:38 »
There is one marked on old OS maps, next to a round pond by the entrance to Chilston Park from Sandway, Lenham.

No idea of its history, that entrance route is cut by the M20 and no obvious trace exists today - I used it for a "Guess the Place" a while ago.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103681286
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Ice Houses in Kent
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 16:09:54 »
Ice houses were buildings used to store ice throughout the year and were used prior to the invention of the refrigerator. Most were domed brick-built underground chambers. The ice would be cut in the winter and stored in the ice house, tightly packed and insulated, usually with straw, sawdust or wood shavings, the ice would remain frozen for many months, or even a year or more. The 18th century saw a significant increase in the number of ice houses being built, mainly to serve manor houses and their estates. From the 1820's clean ice, as opposed to the often dirty ice taken from local ponds and rivers, began to be imported from Norway, while the importation of ice from North America started in the 1840's.
Harvesting ice in Norway. http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/ice/iceimport.htm

Kent ice houses.

Greenwich snow conserver.
Ice pits had been used for the storage of ice in Britain since at least the medieval period, but the first more efficient design was probably the snow conserver built for James l in Greenwich park in 1619. A second one was built at Hampton court in 1625-6, while Charles ll built another in St James Park in 1660.

Benenden School, Cranbrook Road, Benenden, Kent.
Built early in the 19th century for use by Hemstead House. Restored in the 1970's.
Grade ll listed.

Brooklands Park, Blackheath.
Built 1827 for Brooklands House. Demolished c1939.
http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/greenwich/assets/galleries/blackheath-park/ice-house-1939

Hole Park, Benenden Road, Rolvenden, Kent.
Built c1740. Restored 2011-11.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12874758

Kelsey Park, Beckenham, Bromley.

Knole Park, Sevenoaks.

Little Chart.
Built late 18th, early 19th century.
Grade ll listed.

Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst, Kent.
Built 1839. Brick lined chamber topped with timber framed housing.
Grade ll listed.
http://scotneycastlent.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/re-thatching-of-the-ice-house-has-started/

Sundridge Park, Bromley.
Probably 18th century. Built to serve the great Georgian mansion at Sundridge Park,
Grade ll listed.
cka.moon-demon.co.uk/KAR041/KAR041_Bromley.htm

Anyone know of any more?

I have photos but I can't seem to be able to post them on the forum, so I will link to them.
Greenwich Park ice conserver
Ice house, Hole Park.
Ice house, Knole Park.
Ice house, Scotney Castle.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines