News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eagles Over Kent.  (Read 886 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Re: Eagles Over Kent.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 21:54:52 »
Eagle Heights Wildlife Foundation. Lullingstone Lane, Eynsford, Kent.

Home to one of the UK's largest bird of prey centres, currently we have a collection of approximately 100 raptors.

This includes over 50 species, many of which are now breeding at the centre or can be seen flying in our daily demonstrations.

http://www.eagleheights.co.uk/about/eagleheights

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:28 »
Certainly remember the story although details a bit foggy now.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 16:03:28 »
IIRC "Blue Peter" covered it extensively.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 14:06:10 »
Does anyone remember Goldie the golden eagle escaping London Zoo in the 1960's? It was a big story for twelve days as every attempt to capture him ended in failure, until his keeper managed to entice him down with a dead rabbit. He escaped yet again some time later but on that occasion it was only for four days.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:04:39 »
I too saw the Golden Eagle in 2014/15. I saw her near Stockbury sitting on a fence post next to the M2. From asking around I found out that she was quite well known to a local land owner. I always knew that these are big animals but I never realised just how big. They are massive, about 2'6" when perched on the top of the post!

S4.

Would love to see one live, you were lucky that day
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:43:05 »
I too saw the Golden Eagle in 2014/15. I saw her near Stockbury sitting on a fence post next to the M2. From asking around I found out that she was quite well known to a local land owner. I always knew that these are big animals but I never realised just how big. They are massive, about 2'6" when perched on the top of the post!

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:21:19 »
We often get large birds of prey over our place and even had one sit drinking out of the bird bath once. I love watching big birds soaring in the skiy. But we're in Perth WA not dear old Kent.
AlanH.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
Eagles Over Kent.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 15:21:35 »
An Eagle in the Farm Yards in Kent.
A Grove Ferry (Kent) correspondent telegraphs this morning that great excitment has been caused among the farmers in that locality by the appearance there of a large eagle. The bird has already done some damage among the flocks of the farmers, and has even entered the farmyards, and, in some cases, has torn pieces of flesh out of the backs of sheep. Several unsuccessful attempts have been made to capture the bird.
     The South Wales Echo, Friday, November 6, 1885.
The Kentish Eagle Shot.
A telegram from Dover states that the eagle which has lately created some havoc among the flocks of the Kentish farmers at Grove Ferry, was shot this morning.
     The South Wales Echo, Friday, November 13, 1885.

Another Eagle in Kent.
Another eagle has been seen in East Kent. It was first observed on Thursday near Ashford, and yesterday it was hovering over Eastwell Park, the seat of the Duke of Edinburgh. It is said to be a golden eagle, and is a huge bird. Several attempts have been made by the gamekeepers to bring it down, but the visitor is too crafty for them, and keeps out of gun shot.
     South Wales Echo, Saturday, November 21, 1885.
The Kentish Eagle.
The eagle which had been seen in the vicinity of Ashford, Kent, was shot in the duck of Edinburgh's domain there on Monday. The bird, which will be preserved for his Royal Highness, is a male, and is thought to be the mate of the one which was shot at Grove Ferry. It is a perfect specimen of the white-tailed eagle.
     The South Wales Echo, Wednesday, December 2, 1885.

A Golden Eagle Shot
A fine specimen of the golden eagle was shot a few days ago in Eastwell Park, Kent, the seat of Mr. H. A. Campbell. The bird is a large one, and measures eight feet across from wing to wing. Another eagle of the same description is hovering over the park, and efforts are being made to effect its capture.
     The Western Mail, Tuesday, December 17, 1889.

An Eagle in Kent.
A large eagle which has been seen for some days in the neighbourhood of Eastwell Park, Kent, was shot by a keeper on Thursday morning.
     The Western Mail, Saturday, April 16, 1892.

White-tailed Eagle Shot.
A fine female specimen of the white-tailed eagle was shot by a gamekeeper at Wadhurst on Friday. It is the first known specimen shot in Kent.
     The Evening Express, Saturday, January 6, 1894.

A Golden Eagle Shot
An Ashford correspondent telegraphs that a grand specimen of the golden eagle was shot in the woods near Challock, Kent, on Thursday, by a keeper. The bird, which is of a great size, had been in the neighbourhood for several days. This is the second golden eagle shot in Kent during the present month.
     The Wester Mail, Saturday, December 28, 1895.

Golden Eagle in Kent.
A fine specimen of the golden eagle has been captured at Mersham, Kent. The bird had been hovering about the district for some days, and had created great hovoc in the game preserves and poultry in the neighbourhood.
     The South Wales Daily News, Monday, September13, 1897.

A possible sighting of an eagle in Kent Aug 2014.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/golden-eagle-kent-watch-moment-4129872

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines