News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chimney Sweeps  (Read 1821 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: Chimney Sweeps
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 00:26:52 »
I think I lived in Wayfield the same time as you Lutonman, so we may have had the same Chimney Sweep. Definitely remember watching the brush pop up out of the chimney - not a sight you tend to see these days.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 19:16:43 »
Me too, I had to wait outside the house in Bader Crescent at Wayfield and run in and tell my dad when the brush appeared.

Great fund.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 21:17:47 »
Thank you so much for starting this thread. Photographs like these hold real fascination for me. There is so much to glean from an apparently simple picture.

One can study the housing, the fashion, the traffic (or lack of it) , the changing of social attitudes etc. etc. Pictures can indeed paint a thousand words.

Alec.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 17:47:38 »
Thank you HERB COLLECTOR always remember as a kid the sweep would ask me to go outside and see if the brush was out the chimney,

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Chimney Sweeps
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 23:00:22 »

© IWM (Q 30759)

The BBC recently had an item about modern day female chimney sweeps, which reminded me of a series of photos in the IWM collection. A search on the internet added more information.
The photos were taken in 1918 by Horace Nicholls and were commissioned by the Women's Work Commitee of the Imperial War Museum.

© IWM (Q 30757)

The sweep is Mrs Rosanna Forster. Her husband was a boiler-maker at Chatham Dockyard and a part time sweep and Rosanna would often assist him. When he was posted to Bermuda she carried on with the business and was still sweeping during the Second World War. She died in 1960 at the age of 72.
More @ http://kentww1.com/rosanna-foster-the-chimney-sweep/

© IWM (Q 30760)

Your mission, fellow KHF members, should you chose to undertake it, is to identify the location in the photos, possibly taken in Gillingham.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines