News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday  (Read 401 times)

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Re: Remembrance Sunday
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:19:14 »
I enjoyed reading your memory.  It has triggered a memory going back to the 1980's for me.  At that time I used to have a stall at the Hempstead Valley Flea Market held on Sundays at Gillingham.  It was run by a gentleman called Erhard (obviously German). An announcement would be played announcing that at 11 oclock he would request that everyone stood still and observed the silence.  It just struck me as poignant that both sides could unite in this way.  Incidentally most people did just that.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
Remembrance Sunday
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:28:23 »
Recall on that of 2014, making a vow on that hundredth anniversary of the start of WW1, that I would reflect in 2018 on how long it had seemed. Doing so now, as this year`s approaches, you realise that those four short years must have seemed like a lifetime to those who went through it. That this year the `eleventh day of the eleventh month` actually falls on a Sunday will make even more poignant what will be a major event.

One particular Remembrance Day that sticks in the mind was 1962, which also fell on a Sunday. As an East Kent bus conductor I was mindful of the standing instruction that, where safe to do so, the bus was to halt at 11.0 am and observe the silence. Neither the driver or myself were old enough to have served in WW2 although he would have seen National Service. We were working the 16 Canterbury- Folkestone and agreed on Selsted, as I recall, to make the stop. There were not many passengers but, as we approached, I advised our intention on both decks and invited them to join the driver and myself; several did so, including a mother and son, he about ten or twelve years old. Wonder if he remembers the occasion. We stood by the radiator of our Guy Arab, caps off, for the requisite period. Don`t recall anyone saying anything, it was just something you did, more so then than now perhaps.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines