News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Wrinsted Court  (Read 259 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Re: Wrinsted Court
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 17:01:06 »
The two access tracks seem to have been there a long time. Curiously that from the east is shown on Google maps, that from the west is on the background map for NLS maps. The more interesting (to me) route is that southwards, which appears to start with a tree-lined drive then in older maps, and even a 1870's 1inch OS, goes through to Flint Lane. This interests me because some of my slightly distant relatives lived at Flint Barn Farm around this time.

Some of these tracks appear to footpaths, even photos on geograph.

I may have to go for a bit of a walk sometime....
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 11:53:01 »
Is it coincidence, but the building alignments to the southwest of the site seem to respect the 1856 road alignment.  Shame Time Team are no longer digging, a lost manor house would be right up their street.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:45:57 »
FYI, it is still shown as a building in the 1989 Ordnance Survey East Kent Street Atlas.  However there is no detailed revision information in the atlas, so it will probably have been compiled from whatever the most recent survey was prior to 1989.  It's also interesting that the 1856 OS first series (http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/sheet/first_edition/sheet6) shows a different road layout.  It would appear the the approach road has been diverted West for reasons unknown.

If anyone else is searching the grid reference is TQ8969255378 and the post code ME9 0EA.  For information http://streetmap.co.uk/ allows you to enter a post code, OS reference or coordinates and takes you there.  The map is not the best, but on the bottom edge you can click on "Click here to convert coordinates" to go to a cordinate converter that starts in your current location but allows the input of any method of referencing.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 11:22:48 »
It is quite visible in the 1946 Aerial Photograph, from the Kent Interactive Map.  Click on the link, and then select Map Views to get the 1946 Aerial Photo. ...and then, gone by the 1980s.

http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.ExploreKent.Web.Sites.Public/Default.aspx#?&xmin=589564&xmax=589878&ymin=155336&ymax=155546&searchString=donnington

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:09 »
Clicking on Google it gives the following co-ordinates 51.265992, 0.717677

Hope that helps.

It seems odd (well to me at least!) that an old and substantial building could disappear in the 70/80's without leaving hardly a ripple.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:13:30 »
Purely out of interest, is there any chance of a grid reference or coordinates?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:35:11 »
If it is of any assistance, I was at school with a lad named Richard Hooker who, if I remember correctly, lived at either Madams or Wrinsted Court. This was in the late `50s or early `60s.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 18:12:25 »
There are some references here regarding a manor of Wrensted, which looks to be an older spelling. Frinsted and Rinsted seem to be aliases referring to the same location. Looks like the house was still there until the 1970's/80's.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol5/pp554-561

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
Wrinsted Court
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 15:36:05 »
While idly looking around old OS maps I found what seems to be a reasonably substantial house, with long drive, marked as Wrinsted Court, near Frinsted, south of the lane running from West End, Doddington towards Ringlestone and Hollingbourne.

There is only an overgrown area at the end of the drive when viewed on Google Maps, and a quick internet search didn't reveal much.

Obvious question is what happened to it? And why?

Any answers or directions to point me at?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines