News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 10168 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 03:34:36 »
Hi ,just looked in on the fourum out of habit I suppose,pleased to see all this activity.Bilgerat and all you other gents,can us"non tecis"help your efforts in any way?

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 11:54:54 »
Bilgerat, can you approve Mickleburgh's topic?

Alec.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 06:52:31 »
I`ve Just put something on `General History` to see how it goes and it came up as needing `moderating`

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 20:59:30 »
I've put some new ship stories in the General History section, 2, (HMS Goliath and HMS Dragon) were posts lost when the Forum was restored to an earlier point and HMS Syren is a completely new one.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 20:48:04 »
I'm not sure if the Sandwich posting was in Highways - it might well have been in Towns and Villages.

Something odd has also happened in the "Rome House and Rome Lane" thread where there seem to be references to replies and graphic files that aren't there.

I believe kyn sometimes moved things around and merged certain topics, but this wouldn't explain the large gaps with missing posts we seem to have.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 20:41:22 »
From what I found when I investigated this a year ago, it seems that the Forum was restored to a point before the malicious entries began to be made. I found two of my posts missing. I'll re-post them here if that's okay. I was a moderator before the trouble began, so if there are posts to be approved, I can do that.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 16:01:17 »
smiffy - was this topic also in Highways?

A quick glance down the last post dates for that board has a large gap in 2013 from March to November, most unusual.

Further reading of the mixed up Ironmonger/High Street threads, has Peter Challis referring to post #77, when the mixed up thread has less than 20. They were from 2010, apart from the last posting in 2012 - so are these posting dates reliable?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 15:24:30 »
I think that starting new topics in General History would be appropriate if they don't fit into either of the others - they can always be moved or merged into their correct place at a later date if this becomes possible. Unfortunately it looks like you still won't be able to attach any graphic files.

As for missing posts, a while back I was trying to find a topic I posted in (I may even have started it) regarding Strand Street in Sandwich which seems to have gone missing in its entirety. Looking back through my posting history, I find a gap of eleven weeks from June to September 2013 where all of my posts for that period seem to have been lost. Whether this has anything to do with the hacks or if there is another reason is open to question, but other members may find it interesting to have a look back through their own posts to see if they also have gaps in their history.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 15:10:21 »
I am with you Alec

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 19:30:23 »
For people (like me) who still visit the forum frequently in the hope that it will be revived, I investigated and "discovered" the following.....

The forum consists of 17 categories which are subdivided into approximately 80 subsections.
16 of the categories are closed off in that they are read only.
1 category "History in Kent" is not marked in that way and 3 of its subsections "General history" , "Life writing"  and "Local families" are still active. In these subsections it is still possible to answer previous posts. It is also possible in these subsections to raise a new topic (the button remains active) but having gone to the trouble of making a new one (entitled Keeping the forum ticking over) I also ran into the "this needs moderator approval" problem. Herb collector suggested this might be because I only have a low post count. Filmer01 however has many many posts and is unable to post a new topic, so I'm at a loss to explain why.

It is obvious that a major part of the forum housekeeping would be to try to ensure new topics went into their appropriate categories. Since there is no housekeeping currently and if you find you are able to raise a new topic then I'd suggest "General History" would be a reasonable place to put it.

No way do I intend to cause any trouble to Kyn and its her decision of course what will eventually happen to the forum, but I thought it would be a show of solidarity if we could just keep things ticking over.

If everyone who reads this would either just click on the "like" button or better still just do a short reply it'll give a good indication of where we are as a group. (One word like "read" or "seen" would do).

Alec.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:33:59 »
Herb Collector has very kindly opened this new thread. For some reason although I have a "New Topic" button on some boards, trying to use it results in the new message being held for "Approval by a Moderator" - and we can all guess that will not happen quickly.

My intention was to create a single point of reference so that we do not keep hijacking other threads, and keep our knowledge of the problems and suggestions in one place.

Using the Forum as intended while investigating a bit of Ancestry, I looked at the topic concerning "Ironmonger Lane/Corporation Street" and found that some of the posts are actually headed "Rochester High Street". Referenced photos are missing, and references to other posts in the High Street topic show that they are not included in the mix. When I searched there was no index reference to Rochester High Street in the Highways section.

My conclusion, from years of dealing with an old and grumpy database, is that a re-index is the very least required. It may be that the removal of those malicious hacks has had some other unintended consequences.

Have other such problems been found? If so post them here so when the Forum gets going again we know where the problems are and may even know how to resolve them.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Forum Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:27:06 »
Posted on behalf of filmer01.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines