News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 9685 times)

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2019, 00:12:43 »
Thank you Bilgerat for your conviction and efforts to re-establish the KHF into a new resource.  I found the registration process to work well and straightforward.  Awaiting the email as informed.  I look forward to supporting the NEW KHF.

Once again Kyn, thank you for your years of service and truly wish you happiness in the future.
"Change is the only constant"

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2019, 23:25:27 »
I'm registered ! and first time. Just waiting confirmation to explore fully, the layout is looking very good,thank you for all your hard work B.R.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2019, 15:22:40 »

Offline howard

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2019, 15:06:26 »
Howard, it's kenthistoryforum.com
I must be doing something foolish. I look up kenthistoryforum.com and am redirected to kenthistoryforum.co.uk - help!

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:29 »
Tried to register for new forum, too complicated for a 92 year old -- advise.
MoK

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2019, 10:52:38 »

I've opened up the new Forum for registrations.

Registered!  :)

Alec.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2019, 10:07:28 »
Howard, it's kenthistoryforum.com
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline howard

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2019, 07:54:02 »
Would you remind me of the forum address please Bilgerat?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2019, 00:07:30 »
I've opened up the new Forum for registrations. I've also put up a couple of articles. When registering, it will ask for a password consisting of upper and lower case characters as well as numbers. You will also need to agree to the privacy policy and rules before you will be allowed to register. When you do go onto the new Forum site, you'll notice that there should be a padlock symbol near your browser command line. This shows that the Forum is secure, which this one isn't. Have a look at it and let me know what you think...

The reason for opening is that this is what they call 'Beta' testing, ie, a live test to see what issues come up. If any serious issues do come up, then I'll put it back into Maintenance and fix them.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2019, 16:57:56 »
Your doing well Bilgerat, it takes time to set up but will be worth it.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2019, 21:23:59 »
Progress - Still setting up the Forum itself - fine-tuning settings etc. GDPR stuff sorted (I think - and heartfelt thanks to Lutonman for his guidance and assistance with this). SSL Certificate is a work in progress (this will hopefully prevent hacking - of the kind that triggered the downfall of this Forum).

I'm on call for work until Monday morning, so any further progress this weekend is dependant on that. Thank you all for your patience while I learn the intricacies of administering and setting up SMF Forums on the fly...

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2019, 17:44:38 »
The higher level of supervision on the other forum is probbaly a function of the subject matter. A fairly regular turnover of members as they buy and sell that model of car, probably coupled with its use as a place to whinge about the standard of service/costs involved etc etc.

Hopefully we are a much more restrained and polite bunch....
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline otis

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2019, 15:38:02 »
Numbers of moderators will not be an early issue, if the board has a relaxed attitude to post content. Just needs everyone who is keen to help, to flag up any offensive posts for moderation, rather than needing moderaters to screen everything?
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2019, 13:44:50 »
I had a long chat with a friend yesterday, he was my external computer person for our businesses from 1984 to our retirement in 2016. Although allegedly retired, he still helps out some of his old clients from time to time. His specific input is from his ongoing time as a moderator on a model-specific car forum.

His view on topic moderators was that everyone is missing at some point, holidays, sickness, or even if its pressure at work so that they don't log in. In his case he is a Super Moderator, with high level Admin powers to move or delete posts or even entire threads, including merging the occasional duplicate topics or removing difficult members. Someone else deals with the membership applications.

The advice was that someone should be keeping a watchful eye on proceedings, if not 24/7 at least most of the time to avoid minor issues becoming major ones. There are two such moderators on this forum, with higher level admin held by the owner of the forum - a car dealership who fund the site, so someone is easily found if a problem arises.

He saw no great problem with such a large number of boards, as long as the search functions can efficiently direct enquiries. I found Google often finds threads on KHF quicker than I can with the on-board search.

He also takes the view that once you have posted your comments onto a public forum they are in the public domain and he has had no copyright issues arising from that stance. Pictures may well be a different issue, and he is not a lover of third party hosting, simply because of their potential to cause havoc, as recently happened with photobucket. Even now their "watermark" often obscures that part of the picture that you really want to see. Higher quality pictures obviously need more space to store, time to load (not all of us have fibre broadband) but when the devil is in the detail it can be very annoying to find the resolution inadequate for greater enlargement.

Anyway, he wished well for the new forum.

As before Bilgerat - anything you want me to do, just tell me...
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2019, 20:37:13 »

......The moderators collectively would also share the burden of administering the membership and approving membership applications. That's something I could take care of initially, but as the new forum grows, I would be looking to spread the load.

Sounds logical, but you might get an initial rush of people migrating from this site, so give a thought to having immediate help.

Alec.

Good idea Alec, If anyone wants to volunteer to be a moderator on the new site, please do.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines