News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 11947 times)

filmer01 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2019, 13:49:21 »
Thank you for your kind offer Alec, it's much appreciated.

On a related note, I've put out an appeal on the Medway History Facebook group for anyone who is in contact with Kyn or Kev to ask them to get in touch with myself or any of the other Forum moderators. Time to wait and see.....

I see these guys    http://www.strangecargo.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3TUxJ1NM0Ie-SzAR1xZRaR5a8w2jINjBZ5rR-f6KM3KwiaOrC_GAMvAak are also trying to contact KHF to possible include some of the KHF content in a future guidebook. Worth mentioning this in any future messages to Kyn? It may appeal?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2019, 09:47:26 »
Agree 100% Jim, which is why we're proposing what we are. Thank you for your offer of help.

At the moment, the proposal is definitely Plan B, but if we do have to go ahead with it, the task of copying everything over is certainly going to be monumental.

The only potential pitfall I can see is the issue of copyright. My understanding of the law though is that copyright laws only apply if material is copied for financial gain. The copyrights of each article are owned by the article's creator, so we really ought, where possible, to get the writer's permission to copy articles across to the new site. In which case, if any contributors are looking in on this thread, please give your permission to copy your items to the new site.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2019, 00:33:52 »
As many of us would know life can get real tough at times and priorities change dramatically for people.  Kyn has created and run this incredible resource, which means so much in different ways to many, for so long.  It is simply just too good to loose and as a group I feel we should collectively do our best to preserve this resource for all in the future.
So happy to help out where I can from Australia
Cheers to all
Jim
"Change is the only constant"

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 21:24:57 »
Thank you for your kind offer Alec, it's much appreciated.

On a related note, I've put out an appeal on the Medway History Facebook group for anyone who is in contact with Kyn or Kev to ask them to get in touch with myself or any of the other Forum moderators. Time to wait and see.....
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 17:23:25 »
I'm willing to help in whatever way I can.

Alec.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 14:57:59 »
It seems a workable plan and we have a fair bit of time to transfer data if needed.

Perhaps we need to try and get Kyn's attention by a better bit of publicity, she seems to be ignoring emails, there is a facebook account and perhaps contact can be made via connections there or other methods say the newspaper. I'd rather she came along with us if at all possible its just her circumstances have made it impossible for her to continue.

Online filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 13:35:05 »
It certainly seems like a workable plan. Not sure how we deal with the missing/jumbled data, but I’m certainly up for helping in any way.

As we have a year, a short pause while kyn considers Bilgerats offer to take control is logical.

Early “No Deal” planning makes good sense though  :)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 13:32:54 »
  I think it would be great Bilgerat sounds as if you're hearts in it so please kyn if you've had enough pass it over.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 13:04:04 »
Sounds like a workable plan.

Let's give Kyn/Kev a reasonable time to respond to the various attempts being made to get in touch, say, after the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend. If they haven't responded by then, I am happy to set up kenthistoryforum.com/org/whatever. We will then need a dedicated crew of cutters and pasters to manually rebuild the Forum on the new domain.

A monumental task I know, but as things stand, it's that or lose it altogether when the domain license runs out next year.

What do m'learned friends think?

Offline OilyRag

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:59 »
Here is what I see as the issues here.

kenthistoryforum.co.uk is currently paid for as a domain name until 22 August 2020. That is the date at which we will start to have real problems because as soon as the registration expires the site will start to die. Its Registrar is 123-reg and it looks to be hosted on their server.

The forum consists of 2 components – SMF or Simple Machines Forum, the software by which we view and respond to posts, manage members etc and an SQL database which holds all the posts and member data.

The database is hopefully MySQL, but whatever it is that’s no big deal. That is the holy grail, it holds the data that has been built up over the years.

So in an ideal world a 123-reg account is setup held by a “kenthistoryforum” committee – that will cost nothing.

You then need to transfer the kenthistoryforum.co.uk domain into the new accounts ownership – to do that you need the old owners permission.

It would be nice to have the SMF admin passwords etc but that I don’t think is essential, what is needed is access to or the login for the SQL database.

Worst case, setup up kenthistoryforum.org, carry out the biggest cut and paste exercise ever and when the .co.uk domain expires grab it and either rename or repoint the domain.

But I repeat, the SQL database is the holy grail. The more we know about it the more chance we have of saving the data.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 07:30:19 »
What will be really sad is the loss of all the information on the forum should it close. Kyn always insisted that we use correct english and punctuation and kept to the point because she wanted it to be a historical document available to all in the future. I have found myself looking at this forum a number of times when Googling for something unusual.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 22:00:39 »
Just to add my tuppence worth, nothing has come my way at all  but will be very sad to see the end of the forum.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 12:09:14 »
How long do we wait until we realize the forum is dead and buried and what a terrible shame that will be. I check at least once a week but realize the hosting server as been paid for but the subs will run out eventually and one day the link will disappear for ever.
It will be sadly missed that's for sure
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 12:06:00 »
Thanks smiffy.
If that is possible, I put a copy of my unmoderated post , titled "Sheerness Docks", on reply #28 below.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2019, 23:39:35 »
Perhaps if you want to start a new topic but aren't allowed to, you could just leave a request here with the subject title. One of those who are able could then start it off for you with a "new thread request from (your name)" or something similar as the first post.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines