News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Traffic management in 1957  (Read 766 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: Traffic management in 1957
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 18:53:44 »
Another interesting old piece of newsreel:

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1168476977768140801

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 16:56:35 »
I have the option to start a new thread in General history but not tried it yet.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 15:21:35 »
I enlisted the help of Herb Collector to start a thread "Forum Problems" on the Life Writing board to save keep hijacking other threads and hopefully make life a bit easier when we want to clear the content of such things when (hopefully) the forum can be restarted correctly.

It seems that the 18 or so established members can start new topics without problems, not sure about the 10 senior members, the rest of us great unwashed just get the awaiting moderation message. Bilgerat still has access to his moderator page, but I'm not sure if the new posts are being directed to him.

In the meantime just be nice to the established members and ask them to start the thread for you  :)
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 14:05:39 »
That's a bit odd. I've started three new topics in General History and had no issues. Perhaps it has something to do with your post count or membership status - whether you're a Senior member, Established member etc?

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 11:43:08 »
Sorry to gate-crash.
I added a new topic to General History thread yesterday (relating to Sheerness Docks and the Old Naval Hostpital) but it "needs moderated".
Does that mean I can't effectively post here I wonder, or will it get picked up by a senior member at some time perhaps?

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 21:33:09 »
(OT) Probably the same reason parents (who never darkened a church or chapel door) sent their kids to Sunday School.  As someone on the radio said many years ago: "the children went to worship Jesus whilst the adults remained to worship Venus"! :)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 08:39:59 »
All us Troy Town kids used to go up to Jacksons Field   on summer weekends during the 50s to watch the holiday traffic returning from the coast. The place used to be packed with kids, couples and families. Many with picnics. Mum and Dad never came with us though; just sent us kids up there with a packed lunched. I still to this day have no idea why they preferred  to stay at home on their own?   :)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 18:34:15 »

One time I woke up a truck driver who'd fallen asleep waiting and he was in such a position just back from the top of Star Hill that no one seemed to notice the cars in front of him had all gone. People used to get out of their cars on a nice day and sit on that low wall along side the path while they waited for movement ahead.
What a difference the M2 made.
AlanH.

AlanH,

The M2 made a massive difference, you are right!

Just shortly before it opened though our family acquired its first car, a beige coloured Ford Consul. We thought we were so posh as dad drove down Star Hill and through Rochester High Street one bank holiday Monday when the A2 was pretty much choked up from Rainham Mark to almost Dartford. Just as we got onto the bridge a tyre was ripped to pieces by a large horse harness buckle that dad had driven over. To his credit he changed the wheel in record time, assisted by poor old mum, dressed in high heels and a cocktail dress, doing her best to pick up the damaged wheel and throwing it into the boot. Truth was that it felt like half the motoring population of Kent sat waiting behind us. The bridge was of course two way in those days.

Alec.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 16:49:15 »
Are you sure they were not queuing to get OFF Sheppey? 😳
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 16:13:56 »
From the same year and with just a single lane bridge, there were similar problems trying to get into Sheppey. You can see the line of traffic extending all the way along Ferry Road at the top of the picture. Note the Bond with L plates, three passengers and of course, no seat belts :)  Also the Austin at the front has the luxury of a sunroof which I imagine would have been an expensive optional extra at the time.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 10:58:03 »
Frustrating as they were, the queues and time delays back in those days are as nothing to what you experience on the motorway network today, so much for progress.
Sometimes you find yourself on some rural byway (or even some London Hell hole like the `South Circular`) and think `Did I really once regard this as the only route possible?`

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 10:20:15 »
Hi Alan,I have very similar memories to yours,especially in the St Cathrins. Hospital ares ,top of star hill I think bank holiday time was the most congested,recall a gent,think his name was"old shack"selling evening papers to the drivers,his usual pitch was at star hill bottom.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 09:51:45 »
Clip wouldn't play on my machine but I well remember the traffic especially at summer holiday times along the A2 past Jackson's Rec when everyone was heading back to London etc., and down Star Hill and through the towns. It used to be something for the locals to go and see or at least as youngsters we did.
One time I woke up a truck driver who'd fallen asleep waiting and he was in such a position just back from the top of Star Hill that no one seemed to notice the cars in front of him had all gone. People used to get out of their cars on a nice day and sit on that low wall along side the path while they waited for movement ahead.
What a difference the M2 made.
AlanH.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 18:53:36 »
Really interesting old film

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 13:38:18 »
When you look at the traffic nowadays with congested motorways it's hard to imagine this used to be the main through route from London to the coast.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines