News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Docks  (Read 548 times)

Offline Local Hiker

• Appreciation 4
Re: Sheerness Docks
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 08:28:19 »
Signals99, the mill was built 1971 - 1972.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheerness_Steelworks

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:11:22 »
More than likely a naval cemetery. French POWs were kept on the prison hulks in The Swale and their bodies were just dumped on what is now Dead Man's Island. They wouldn't have bothered with coffins for them.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:27:54 »
Hi,how time flies,I well recall the steel mills being built,I was employed by the SEEB,As an electrical fitter in the construction dep part of a gang who installed the 33Kv sub station supplying the mill,
During the various stages of building we uncovered a number of coffins,we contacted the local police. Of course,told Thay were probably French prisoners of war who dide during the construction of the dockyard
Any one remember the year the mill was built?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Sheerness Docks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 13:41:44 »
New thread request from Local Hiker:

I note this week that the main Sheerness Steel Mill buildings on the Wellmarsh site are now all demolished and cleared. 

I believe those buildings left are to remain, (listed or ancient monument).

The old Naval Hospital (Ancient Monument) is now clearly visible, hitherto hidden by the main steel works buildings.
I seem to recall that Kyn was involved in saving the hospital from the wrecking ball.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines